Solved

g34 as an access point

I purchased a g34 cable modem router as a backup to my Netgear router that failed. It's a nice router, but I finally got my Netgear warranty replacement. I would like to use the g34 as an accces point in my garage. I already have an Ethernet cable and use a small WiFi access point. I don't see an option to do this though, it looks like the g34 can only be used as a modem in bridge mode, not outputting WiFi signal. Is 8t possible to do what I want?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 16 August 2022, 19:15

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

What netgear router is it? Maybe use the G34 in modem/router mode and connect the netgear in access point mode? 

It's a Netgear cax80. It's ax6000 for the Netgear vs ax3000 for the Arris. It had great coverage in my house and yard but failed after 6 months and Netgear warranty took 3 weeks of dealing with to get a replacement so I bought this Arris as a sub in. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

doubtful to work then. I’ve seen it done with a netgear modem/router combo device but none of the newer ones. 

Userlevel 1

G34 may be able to function as a router.  Plug the Ethernet cable that has the WAN source into the LAN1 port of G34, reboot it and see what happens.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Beave450r, 

The G34 set up will be with a Coaxial Cable. The Ethernet ports that this device include will only work for you to connect devices to receive internet. If you’re trying to set up this device as an Access Point, I’m afraid that it won’t work that way. 

I would recommend to better get devices that work as access points instead. 

Hope this answer helps.