Question

G34 best wifi settings

• 4 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I have a G34 modem router and my ISP is Comcast. (Xfinity)
My plan details:

Download speeds: up to 400 Mbps

Upload speeds: up to 10 Mbps

I can get up 350 Mbps on 5Ghz my 2.4Ghz is terrible I get around 70 Mpbs.
Is anyone aware of any setting tweak that can help me improve my 2.4Ghz?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello wifi s,

Sure we can try ad improvise the speed on 2.4GHz also, we understand that your Speed Plan is 400 Mbps and currently you’re speed with 5Ghz is 350 Mbps but at the same time in 2.4Ghz its only 70Mbps.

Mainly 2.4ghz works best on the other devices like security camera /television /printers and so on .

We shall align the Wi-Fi channels of 2.4 GHz to either 1/6/11 which are known as “Non - Overlapping Channels’” for a better connectivity..

Please connect to Wi-Fi on any of your device /open up a browser)either Google Chrome/ Microsoft Edge /Safari)  and type in  192.168.0.1 . 

Login to web manager page(192.168.0.1). Sign in with username : admin and password : password (all in lower case) 

Select 2.4GHz and change the Wi-Fi channel either 1/6/11  and save settings . Again try connecting to 2.4 GHz on Wi-Fi settings ( as this might drop the Wi-Fi due to change of Wi-Fi channels) 

Observe for 24 to 48 hours and let us know if there is any changes on 2.4 GHz speed and connectivity 

Badge

Hi there,

Thank you for the instructions, I just want to make sure once I log in I need to apply the changes here:

https://shero.d.pr/i/NQZpbO please let me know if this looks good.

As of right now the change did not improve anything, I will wait for a couple of days as you mentioned.

I just want to make sure I have applied the changes in the right location.

Badge

Hi All,

No improvements so far.

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Badge +1

Hi Arris Moderator, 

I would also like to know more info to internet speed to it max potential on 5 GHz. Please advice some tips and tweaks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

What device are you testing with?

something to keep in mind with 2.4ghz is its a much slower network. That 70mbps? It might be all you get in your area. Reason why is like I said, its a much slower network. but its also sensitive to interference more than 5ghz. So if you have other networks around you, it can suffer from that. 

Its the whole reason for 5ghz. I’ve tried multiple flagship routers and rarely have a sustained 2.4ghz speed above 100mbps because I have quite a few 2.4ghz networks in my area.. Its usually in the 50-80mbps. My 5ghz can hit over 1 gig if I’m close enough to my router. 

so again, what actual device are you testing with for the 5ghz speeds?

Badge

In reference to my original comment.

Does anyone has some suggestions with the router settings that may help improve my 2.4ghz speed?

On a good day I get 70mbps but in general I get less than 50mbps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You didn’t answer the question of what device you’re using. 

2.4ghz is a slow network. Most area’s aren’t going to see faster speeds than what you’re getting. 

Especially if you’re in an area with a bunch of networks. 

About the only thing you can try doing it changing what 2.4ghz channel you use to see if there’s less interference.