Question

G34 SSIDs disappear

• 23 October 2022
  • 6 replies

On a fairly regular basis my G34 Wifi router/modem will stop broadcasting the SSIDs for 2.4 and 5. I’ve tried restarting and a reset. Nothing seems to make it stable. It still passes wired traffic and I have a TPLink AP that broadcasts without issue. None of the built in diagnostic tools are providing answers. 

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello BGP_IT

I want to know more about the TP Link device, could you please share with us the model of that device? thanks in advance for the answer.

The model is a G34. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello BGP_IT

Let’s try something, can you disconnect the coaxial cable and let us know if after that the WiFi starts broadcasting again? 

I've done that and the only thing that makes the SSIDs visible to devices is to power cycle. Logging in to the device I can see that both frequencies are enabled. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello BGP_IT

Besides the power cycle, did you try something else? like a Factory Reset? here’s how to do it:

Factory Reset With the Reset Button
Before performing factory reset, remove the G34/G36 gateway from the SURFboard Central app if the app was used for setup.  For detail steps, refer to article # 18757 - SURFboard Central: Add/Remove Device.  The factory reset will disassociate the gateway from the SURFboard Central app and erase all settings.  It is recommended to use the SURFboard Central App to configure the G34/G36 home network quickly and easily.  For assistance with setup, refer to article # 18840 - SURFboard Central: Wi-Fi Cable Modem Setup.

1. Carefully insert a paper clip or small object into the reset button and press it.

2. Hold down the Reset button for at least 20 seconds and release it. The G34/G36 will then reboot, once the LED flash the G34/G36 has finished rebooting and will be configured with the default settings.

NOTE: The G34/G36 Gateway takes approximately 4 minutes to fully operate after reboot.

Right click on the image to save it to your computer.

1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.  The https:// Redirect page will appear.  

2. The SURFboard Web Manager is begin redirected to a more secure connection, click the Proceed button to continue.  The Gateway > Home Network Wizard - Step 1 page will appear.

User-added image<

NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager.  There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager.  For instructions to bypass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.

3. Enter a new password in the New Password field and re-enter the new password in the Re-Enter New Password field. 

Password Requirements:
    • Minimum of 8 characters 
    • At least one uppercase alpha character 
    • At least 1 number
    • One of ~ ! @ # $ % ^ * (  ) - _ = + [ ] { } | ; : , . / ?
  4. Enter the four-digit CAPTCHA code in the Type CAPTCHA Here field.

5. Click the Next Step button.  The Gateway > Home Network Wizard - Step 2 page will appear.  

User-added image

NOTE: To use the default Wi-Fi credentials, click the Next Step button to skip this section. 

6. Enter a new wireless network name in the Wi-Fi Network Name (2.4 GHz) and the Wi-Fi Network Name (5 GHz) fields.

7. Leave the Encryption Method (2.4 GHz) and the Encryption Method (5 GHz) fields at default (Recommended).

8. Enter a new wireless password in the Network Password (2.4 GHz) and Network Password (5 GHz) fields.  

9. Click the Next Step button.  The Gateway > Home Network Wizard - Step 3 page will appear.

User-added image

10. Leave the Time Zone Selection option at default (Automatic). 

11. Click the Time Format drop-down menu and select 24-hour format or 12-hour format.

12. Leave the Date Format option at default (MM/DD/YYYY), then click the Finish button.  The Gateway > Login page will appear. 

User-added image

13. The Username field has admin populated, enter the custom password in the Password field.

14. Click the Login button to access the G34/G36 Web Manager.

User-added image

15. Reconnect the computer and any other client devices to the G34/G36 network.  Try accessing www.arris.com or any other website to verify if there is a working Internet connection.

I'll try that but now it seems the issue has moved on to intermittent connectivity for LAN connections as well. I have my wifi broadcasting from an Archer 1750 now because I was tired of power cycling. Last night though I was on a Teams call and lost the connection several times. Could it be faulty hardware at this point? Either the router itself or the coax feeding to it?