Solved

HP Printer won't connect to my G34 via WiFI.

• 27 October 2022
  • 5 replies

I’ve spent a long time trying to get my HP Deskjet 4155e to connect to the WiFi on my Surfboard G34, which can’t seem to find the networks I’ve set up even though I set the printer right next to the gateway.  When I called the HP tech support, they keep telling me to call the ISP and get them to separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz networks, but Spectrum says they can’t do that because I own the modem/router.  What exactly does it mean to separate the 2 different radio networks, and can I do that? So far, I’ve tried turning off the 5Ghz networks, but that hasn’t worked.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 11 November 2022, 01:01

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Badge +4

Hi Chezjay,

I would like to let you know the following:

1. For G34 device, the network is separated by default, your wifi network has 2 bands namely 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz. You can find those two wireless network names at the bottom of your device and the same will be broadcasted if you have not customized them earlier.

2. Most of the printers are 2.4 Ghz supported and hence 5Ghz would not be connected. you can also access the web interface by accessing the 192.168.0.1 page and check whether 2.4 Ghz network is enabled. 

3. If everything is fine and still the printer is not detecting the 2.4 GHZ network, you can consider changing the security mode (on the 192.168.0.1 page) to WPA2-PSK (AES). this step works for me!

Please let me know if any further clarification is required

Thanks Priya for telling me how you made it work.  However, it still isn’t working for me.  Even had an HP Supervisor set up on my computers and he tried every setting on the Sufboard for Security Mode, 802.11 type, even Firewall, and nothing worked, even though my printer was sitting next to the modem.  Still have an open case, but no one at HP knows what else to try.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Chezjay,

By default the 2 WiFi networks (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) won’t be mixed into one. Now, since the issue is related to not seeing the WiFi networks I would suggest in addition to what Priya said is to check if both networks have the exact same name, this could cause some devices to get confused when attempting to connect to the network.

Hello,

Actually, the first thing I did was to change the network names that I use to hide the fact that I’m using a Surfboard from any hackers.  Each network’s name is completely different, so that didn’t factor in.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Chezjay,

The other thing that may help is opening ports but you will require some help from the manufacturer. I will attach the steps so you can follow them to do it. The manufacturer needs to give you which ports have to be opened, just in case:

Port Forwarding Setup

1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.  The https:// Redirect page will appear.   

2. The SURFboard Web Manager is begin redirected to a more secure connection, click the Proceed button to continue.  The Gateway > Login page will appear.

User-added image

3. A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager.  There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager.  For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.

NOTE: The Home Network Wizard will appear if this is the first time accessing the Web Manager.  For assistance with the wizard, refer to article # 19077 - G34/G36: Web Manager First Time Login.

4. The Username field has admin populated, enter the custom password in the Password field.

NOTE: If the Login page prompts for email address and password, retrieve the email address and password in the app to sign-in.  For detail instructions in the app, refer to article #19069 - SURFboard Central: Web Manager Access.

5. Click the Login button.  The Gateway > Summary page will appear.

User-added image

6. On the Left-hand menu, click the Advanced link.  The Advanced > Port Forwarding page will appear.  

7. Click the Enable button for the Port Forwarding option.

8. Click the + Add Service button.  The Advanced > Port Forwarding > Add Service page will appear.

User-added image

9. Click the Common Service drop-down menu and select the available pre-configured service.  The Service TypeStart PortEnd Port fields will auto populate.  Click here to proceed to step 14.

NOTE: If the service is not listed in the Common Service drop-down menu, select Other and click here to proceed to step 10 to setup the port manually.

User-added image

10. Enter the name of the service in the Service Name field.

11. Leave the Service Type option at default TCP/UDP. 

12. Enter the same port number into both the Internal Start Port and Internal Port End fields.

NOTE: When forwarding a range of ports, enter the start and end of the port range in the two fields.

13. Enter the same port number that were previously entered in the External Start Port and External Port End fields.

14. Click the Connected Device button.  A pop-up window will appear.

15. Locate the client device by Device Name or IPv4 Address, then click the Add radio to select the device for this Port Forwarding setup. 

16. Click the Add button.  The pop-up window will close.

User-added image

17. Click the Save button.  The Advanced > Port Forwarding page will appear. 

User-added image

18. The port forward entry will appear below Port Forwarding section.  Repeat steps 8 - 17 to forward additional ports.

NOTE: To delete a Port Forwarding entry, click the X button next to the entry and click OK on the Are you sure? pop-up window.

User-added image