Question

Firmware Update on G36

• 20 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

What is the latest firmware for the Surfboard G36

I read the documentation, and it said my provider would have software updates, but Xfinity customer service said that they would come from Arris.

If I have the latest software already - then the question is moot, otherwise - how do I ensure that I have the latest security fixes, etc

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello DavidDyck

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS G36, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

Even for the device owned by the customer only your internet service provider can only update firmware since they are the one activating modem and to check the current firmware version you can see on the modem interface.

Let us know if this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Xfinity is the ones who pushes the firmware to cable modem devices.  ARRIS and other manufactures provides the FW to cable providers and the cable providers ensure the FW operability on their network and pushes it to their customer’s modems.  Xfinity should be able to tell you if you have the latest FW.

Badge

Thank you!

as I said “ Xfinity customer service said that they would come from Arris.”

please advise the magic words to use to speed to a trained Xfinity customer service rep, so I don’t get into an infinite loop where they send me back here again

It appears there’s a conflict between the service provider and the manufacturer (ARRIS) on who is supporting the firmware updates on the G36 Cable Modem?? I have a hard time understanding that since there are smart people, like us, on this Community Forum that knows the technology and have the skill level to push out firmware updates to our own Cable Modems. So why can’t ARRIS post the current firmware downloads on their support site??

This makes me fear that ARRIS is not keeping up on Cable Modem security with firmware updates and is a huge risk that could lead to the possibility of our Cable Modems eventually being compromised due to lack of Cyber Security intervention. Maybe it’s time for me to start looking at another manufacture that has a vested interest in their customers and not have the attitude “Not my job”! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

there isn’t someone who “updates their own modems” on here. 

The modem side firmware has to be pushed by the ISP as part of the docsis spec. 

The manufacturer (arris) does make an update and submits it to the isp. 

the isp is the one who certifies it to make sure everything works fine for them (which costs them $). 

Most ISP’s don’t like re-certifying devices because of the cost. so even when there is an update, it rarely gets pushed unless its something super critical. 

There are a few (rare) modem/router combo devices (not from arris) that have the router side provisioned separate from the modem side so the router itself can be updated. but the modem can’t. Its still isp driven. Again, theres are rare and I don’t believe arris makes any of these so its still down to the isp being the one ultimately sending the update. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@plemans   understand your post about the ISP owning the certifications, but as a consumer, we do not know if it is Arris or our ISP that is behind in delivering an update.    Maybe if Arris would publish the current certified versions that are approved for each ISP, then consumer could then go complain to their ISP that the installed version is lacking.  Just seeking transparency myself, since I am still having an issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’d agree, a list would be good. Not arguing with that. But from my experience, those lists rarely get updated even when manufacturer’s do have them. It isn’t hard to keep updated and yet it still falls between the cracks and then people complain about the list being out of date or “why am I on a newer firmware?” Its a challenge. Its a screwed up system. Which again, is why the experienced users tend to recommend buying a modem only device and then connecting a separate router to it. Gives you much more control and options. 

And if you’re having issues with the modem, more details help. 

What actual issue in full detail are you having? 

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and event logs? 

What is the latest  version for the G36 when used with Xfinity?

My device has the following, unchanged since I bought it on 07/05/2022:

AR01.04.028.01.01_040121_724.NCS.20.X2

Firmware:  01.04.028.01.01.NCS

Boot:  CGR2.86C.635901.R.2007141716

Worked great until February 2023. Now requires power cycling every 2-3 days. Symptoms: WIFI stops; wired devices still work;  admin interface unavailable.

Power levels, SNR, etc all look fine on Xfinity’s end.

MWC,

I’m running the same code as you. See below. Obviously, ARRIS has a bug in this code and they have yet to respond in all of our posts with same issues and a more professional root cause and resolution. If they do not react to a push of an update with a new code with a fix, I will bail on ARRIS and find another manufacture that will support their products and especially customers.

Software version: AR01.04.028.01.01_040121_724.NCS.20.X2

BOOT Version: CGR2.86C.635901.R.2007141716

Core Version:0.0.0.0

Model:G36

Product Type:G36

Flash Part:462 MB

Download Version:01.04.028.01.01.NCS

Ernest…...