Solved

I have gigabit internet but my ethernet download speed is slow.

• 8 September 2022
  • 7 replies

So I have Xfinity’s 1.2 gigabit internet plan and instead of leasing their gateway, I bought the Arris G36. When testing the speed of my internet on ethernet I get around 500 Mbps which doesn’t make sense. I had the same plan at my old house with the Xfinity gateway modem and got 900 Mbps. Now when I am downloading a simple 5GB file it takes 2 hours to download. It isn’t my Lan cable because I have brand new cables. Would anybody know what my problem is.

icon

Best answer by plemans 9 September 2022, 18:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

How are you testing speeds? or a wired connection? Wireless? 

What site are you using? Try xfinity’s speedtest site over a hardwired connection

I’ve already tried xfinity’s, it give me around 500Mbps and I have also user Ookla which give me around 700Mbps. Rn my mother board only has a gigabit ethernet port and no wifi ac so I am gonna have to buy a wifi controller for a pcie alot on my motherboard.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page? (shows upstream/downstream connection info?) and the event logs? That helps check the connection. Seems add that it gets 500 at times at 700 at others. could be a connection issue after switching devices. (loose connector, bad connector, kinked coax, etc)

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Yep, you posted that earlier. Your cable connections page shows the upstream/downstream/snr/errors.  it lets us check the modem side in a quick snap shot. The event logs show us more as they’re longer term. 

Where would that be?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello, 

Here’s how to access the Cable Signal Levels for your device:

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6950AC2-Cable-Signal-Levels

Once you get this information share with us the results, this will help us to determine if the issue is with the signal or the device itself.