Solved

Slow connection through G36 2.5g port

• 26 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Is there a setting that must be enabled to provide normal speeds through the 2.5g port? I’m unable to connect to the internet via the 2.5g port on the back of my G36 with more than minimal (under 1mbps) speeds.  

I have Xfinity Gigabit (1.2Gbps) and with the 1g ports I can routinely get ~1Gbps with a wired connection. 

When I plug the same patch cable (both Cat5e and Cat6) into the 2.5g port, there is no signal to my office 4-port switch, and almost no connection speed to my laptop 4ft. away from the gateway. 

Am I wrong in thinking that 2.5g port should operate the same, and better, than the other four ports? 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 18 November 2022, 17:31

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Charlie207

I have some questions regarding this issue. Is this happening to the normal ethernet ports too? and of course is the speed slow though WiFi too? 

I’d like to know this information to know more about the whole scenario.

My Xfinity Gigabit is providing the advertised speeds - 900 - 1.2 Gbps DL speeds… depending on time of day. 

The four regular 1G Ethernet ports deliver expected speeds throughout my house to multiple computers… no issue with them. Connecting my laptop to gateway via Cat6 cable, and running a speedtest on Fast.com or Xfininity (Ookla) speedtests confirm this for all four ports.

My WiFi is working as expected and I’m not seeing any lag/slowdown with DL/UL speeds via WiFi. 

The issue is limited to the 2.5G port, and when I conduct a speedtest as described above (laptop wired to gateway) I get huge amounts of lag/latency, and low connection speeds - around 1mbps.  

I’ve restarted the gateway by both unplugging it from the wall for several minutes, and via the Arris app on my phone, and laptop, and the situation with the 2.5G port persists. 

My question is if there is a setting in the Arris app or browser menu that must be turned on or edited to allow for full usage?

Hello Charlie207

I have some questions regarding this issue. Is this happening to the normal ethernet ports too? and of course is the speed slow though WiFi too? 

I’d like to know this information to know more about the whole scenario.

Hi, any advice on this question? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Charlie207

Answering your question, no, there’s no setting that needs to be turned on to show full performance. Is this happening to other devices? I want to know that since some devices might not have the capability to support such speeds and may cause this kind of issues. 

Hello Charlie207

Answering your question, no, there’s no setting that needs to be turned on to show full performance. Is this happening to other devices? I want to know that since some devices might not have the capability to support such speeds and may cause this kind of issues. 

The lack of normal speeds is happening on all devices, mainly two laptops, a new Dell, and a 2015 MacBook Pro.  They all work great on the 1Gig port, but barely are able to transmit/receive on the 2.5 G. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’ve got a home setup for 2.5gig (and a 1+gig connection) but no g36 to see if I could replicae the issue. You’re going to have to rely on @SURFboard_Moderator to help with that

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

@Charlie207 I found an article online that will explain how the multi gig port works, here’s a section that basically explains the issue:

With these two snips, what it seems that is happening is that the devices that you connect to the multi gig port were not meant to run at those speeds. In the article you will find also a way to check if your devices are capable of doing it. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-a-multigig-port-how-does-it-work/