Cannot reset password without paying for support?

• 13 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I received a suggestion from my password manager that, for security, my password for the Web settings for my modem SBG6580 should be changed. The modem is old and out of warranty but still working fine.

There is not a hint about how change the password on the Arris settings site. I contacted support by phone and was told I need to pay for support for them to tell me how to change my password.

Why could support not simply tell customers how to change their passwords? (I since Googled and found I have to wipe the modem.)

Need I say how grasping and mean this is? True, this is an era of terrible cyberspace support but surely this is some kind of new low.

plemans 1 year ago

Most consumer equipment only has support for a certain amount of time. After that its paid. Otherwise, they’d be home users IT department in fixing/connecting devices. There are manuals that have info for helping with those questions. 

ARRIS Consumer Care - SBG6580 / SBG6580-2 (force.com)

Arris at least offers support for the life of the warranty. Other companies (like netgear) only offer 90 days even through they have 1 year warranties. 

ARRIS Consumer Care - Support Services (force.com)

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Most consumer equipment only has support for a certain amount of time. After that its paid. Otherwise, they’d be home users IT department in fixing/connecting devices. There are manuals that have info for helping with those questions. 

ARRIS Consumer Care - SBG6580 / SBG6580-2 (force.com)

Arris at least offers support for the life of the warranty. Other companies (like netgear) only offer 90 days even through they have 1 year warranties. 

ARRIS Consumer Care - Support Services (force.com)