Question

Xfinity and S33 modem slow speeds

• 24 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

I’ve got the infamous 1.2gig service from Xfinity, they have checked and replaced everything they have changed the channel that my box connects to to their service, my speeds have not exceeded 500 mbps which is less than half. I thought it was a double NAT issue because they can only provide their own gateway modems which act as routers as well, but it’s still happening with the new S33 Arris modem I purchased just last week. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a quick fix to cause the modem to recognize at what speeds it should be getting?

I have the app, but it’s no help for this problem whatsoever.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Badge

No but I am in the same boat.  I have an S33 & Xfinity 1.2 gig service.  The technician came out and connected his meter tool to the cable & showed 1.29 gig coming out of the cable then also showed me 1.29 gig coming out of the Arris S33.  Yet when I plug in my laptop into the modem I get around 600 mbps down.  

Now when I connect my brand new Alien router to the modem the built in speed test (the router has a LCD touch screen) it shows that Xfinity’s signal is around 720-750 mbps.  I have gotten 830+ mbps wifi speeds on my iPhone 12 but only 600 mbps plugged into the S33 or the routers LAN.

To make it more unusal I have a range extender in my room and when I plug into the Ethernet port on there with my laptop I can 700-800 mbps.  Bottom line I get faster speeds via wifi/range extender then being plugged into the S33 and/or the Alien’s LAN.  I kind of gave up seeing 1.2 gig down or even 940 mbps down.  Xfinity showed me 1.299 coming into and out of the modem so as far as they are concerned there is no issue.

I hope someone has info that may help you out.

Badge +1

@ModulusVJ4

Thanks for your post, it’s weird isn’t it? The guy’s tool that came out to view mine said 1500 down.
I downloaded the app for the modem but there’s literally no way to connect to the modem to even check on it’s firmware the technicians at the customer support line do that apparently. The guy I chatted with who scheduled the technician who came out was very knowledgeable (I have experience doing his job I can tell if they are bsing me.) and he seemed genuine. The tech was nice and knowledgeable himself and was direct about everything honestly.

It baffles me how this is not working as intended! Copper wires are old but when this all began I was actually getting 960 down. Now it’s basically half! I wonder if there’s someone outside of the typical customer service I can contact that will have the knowledge necessary to see if anyone’s missed something!

I’ve yet to get a response from here from anyone from this modem company but I’ve read countless stories like mine. Someone has to know what’s going on! I don’t want to sue anyone I just want the speeds I’m paying for! As a gamer, it’s frustrating to not be able to get the response times in mmo’s and FPS games that are necessary to succeed! 

Thanks for the response!  

Badge

So, I have a couple questions for you. When he tested the speed coming from the s33 did he use a different cable than the one you are currently setup with? The first thing I usually test is different cables when I see variance in speed like you see. Second, are you plugged into the 2.5 port to a 2.5 nic when you test the speed? Usually the techs have equipment that have multigig nics to properly test all of the available speeds they offer. You will not be able to correctly test the speeds if you don’t have a 2.5g nic. How do you test your speed? Website or stand alone app? You will get more accurate results with a stand alone app over a website every time. Have you asked for the modem to get a reprovision signal sent to your modem to make sure it has the correct config for your service level? I changed my modem out before and the speeds went down until I had them send a new signal to correct the issue. Arris can’t truly give you an answer to your issue because ISPs change the firmware to in house firmware to work on their network, and this becomes an issue with the ISP at that point. Hope some of this helps. 

Badge +1

I’ve tested on pcs using ookla’s speed test website, the website they us, and the software on my google nest, all with similar results.

I’m using the 1gig port not the 2.5 and the speeds have been the same on both modems. That can’t be a coincidence. I guess I have tried multiple cables because of where all of the computers are located in the house stringing cabling to the ones further away uses a different cable because the ones where the cable modem is located isn’t long enough. They reprovisioned several time, they’ve cleared blocks, they’ve updated the new modem, and they’ve callibrated it on the back end and checked it twice. 

They’ve also changed the channels that it communicates through.

The issue here isn’t so much the equipment anymore I’m thinking it’s their service because even their own modem couldn’t give us the original speeds we were receiving less than a year ago 960 mbps. 

I’d love to know if other people are having this trouble.

Badge

I would install the speedtest app from the site to see what that says. Below is an example from my own speedtest. The 46 is from the site, the 603 is from the app, as you can see there is a huge variance in results between the 2 even though they are using the same exact settings. 

Badge

I’ve tested on pcs using ookla’s speed test website, the website they us, and the software on my google nest, all with similar results.

I’m using the 1gig port not the 2.5 and the speeds have been the same on both modems. That can’t be a coincidence. I guess I have tried multiple cables because of where all of the computers are located in the house stringing cabling to the ones further away uses a different cable because the ones where the cable modem is located isn’t long enough. They reprovisioned several time, they’ve cleared blocks, they’ve updated the new modem, and they’ve callibrated it on the back end and checked it twice. 

They’ve also changed the channels that it communicates through.

The issue here isn’t so much the equipment anymore I’m thinking it’s their service because even their own modem couldn’t give us the original speeds we were receiving less than a year ago 960 mbps. 

I’d love to know if other people are having this trouble.

I know this is frustrating for all of us with this issue.  How can the techs meter reader tool show me 1.29 gig coming out of my S33 with my own cable & yet when I plug my laptop into the modem I get 400-600 mbps?  But then get 830+ mbps wirelessly on my iPhone 12?  I just got 740 mbps now by having my laptop connected to my range extender via Ethernet.  So basically my slowest speed is just plugged directly into the S33 itself.  I wish I could try a Motorola multi gig modem just to see if anything changes but I’m done spending $$$ for now on all this equipment.

Badge +1

I happen to agree with you 100% ModulusVJ4 this is counter intuitive.

Badge +1

I would install the speedtest app from the site to see what that says. Below is an example from my own speedtest. The 46 is from the site, the 603 is from the app, as you can see there is a huge variance in results between the 2 even though they are using the same exact settings. 

Got a link? I’ve tried searching for something to download on windows.

Badge

https://www.speedtest.net/apps/windows