Solved

Modem drops internet connection

• 27 October 2022
  • 4 replies

I have been having a constant intermittent problem of losing my internet connection. My ISP has been out, twice, and they have found no problem with their service. The one tech said he has seen problems with the Arris Surfboard modems? When I lose the connection, all the lights are still on. 1 green on top and 2 blue in the middle and 1 green on the bottom. The problem comes about every 3-4 days. I can get my internet connection back when the problem arises by rebooting the modem just about all the time. So, why does the internet connection go away in the first place, when all the lights are lite, and why do I have to reboot my modem so often? Certainly would appreciate any help. This problem is annoying and it is not going away.

icon

Best answer by sciencemagic 8 November 2022, 02:01

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello sciencemagic,

I’d like to know more about this scenario, first of all, who’s your service provider? and which device you have?.

There might be a couple of stuff that we can check in order to determine if the issue is the device or not. 

Hi SURFBOARD_Moderator,

My ISP is Astound. My modem is a SB6190. I had the Astound tech out a few days ago and he found a possible problem. He is replacing very old coaxial cable. When he did so, my Arris status chart had improved very much. The unlocked channels are now locked and there are much less errors and uncorrected errors. It has been 3 days so far sense the tech did the work and NO problems so far. I believe I will not see the same problems now that the unlocked channels have been locked. Time will tell for sure though. 

I do very much appreciate your inquiry SURFBOARD moderator. It good to know help is available. I will let you know by the end of this week if the problem is resolved or it has come back. Again, thank you for your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hi sciencemagic

I’m glad to know that! please keep us posted if this actually helped. Hopefully it does, if not, we will check other stuff in the SB6190 to get to the root of the issue.

SURFboard_Moderator,

Thanks once again for your reply. I will let you know if the problem isn’t corrected. But, so far all is good. It appears the problem was my ISP’s issue, not the Arris modem. Thanks again.