Solved

Reset button

My Arris SB6190 has a reset button on the back of it. What is it’s purpose and how and when should it be used? Can someone help? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by plemans 30 October 2022, 13:27

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

A factory reset clears out all the settings. Sometimes settings get corrupt or users forget passwords/settings. So they need to reset to get back in. 

the average user shouldn’t really need to mess with resetting 

Thank you, plemans for your reply. I’ve a question for you, plemans. When you view your Arris web manager data, how many locked and unlocked download channels do you see, Plemans? I would appreciate your feedback on the matter. Thank you, Plemans

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Each area and ISp will be different. And each modem will be different. I have a netgear CM2000. 

I have xfinity and in my area I have 32 locked downstream, 5 locked upstream, and 1 locked downstream ofdma

Hi Plemans, thanks for the reply. So, you have the same number of downstream channels as I do, 32. But, I have 3 channels that are unlocked within those 32 channels. And evidently you have all yours locked? I have 3 upstream channels and all are locked. I ask this question because I have intermittent internet connection issues, even though all 4 of my lights are lite. I was told the unlocked channels were the cause of the intermittent problem. I would very much to know how many Arris SB 6190 users have possible unlocked downstream channels and still have a reliable internet connection? Can I be the only one who is having this problem? And, just how big a problem unlocked downstream channels are? I would appreciate any info and help you may have, Plemans. Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do you have a screensnip showing this? it’ll also have the cable signal strength on it. You can also post the logs on here as they help checking the signal long term. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

I sent a screen shot to show the chart. Hope it helps. You can see channels 21,22,23 are not locked, and the power settings.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

with those channels not locking and the prior channel having a bunch of errors, you’ll need to check your line. See my prior post and if that doesn’t help, then the ISP needs to check the line

Hi, plemans. Thank you for your reply. My modem is directly attached to my computer, no router or anything. Ethernet cable direct from modem to computer. So, line should have no issues. You believe with those 3 downstream channels unlocked and the prior channel, #20 showing a lot of errors , that may be my intermittent internet connection issue? Being I’m not a modem/internet expert, when I contact my ISP tech he may say something to the effect you don’t need those channels or some other excuse to shift blame? Is it possible that I really DON’T need all 32 download channels, plemans? Or, in your opinion, all 32 download channels are necessary. Just trying to have a good argument if my ISP tech tries to divert blame from his company. I do appreciate your help, plemans. Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello sciencemagic

That question about the channels are going to depend on the speed, usually really high internet speed plans will require all of the channels but we’re talking about speeds close to 1 Gbps. Having said that, if your internet speed is not close to that, that shouldn’t be needed.