Solved

SB6190 - Lost MDD Timeout Errors

• 13 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

SB6190 on Spectrum - 500 Mbps plan - No issues for the past 6 years, but last month started seeing  Lost MDD Timeout errors - on average once a day at different times. Does not appear to impact throughput and no noticable connection drop. Throughput when tested is typcially 580 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up. Up until last month I have never seen that error message.

First tech replaced all connections and removed a Forward Path Attenuator (that they installed several years ago) as he thought the upstream power was too high (51.5)

2nd tech replaced the drop from the street with rg11, but errors continue.

Modem is connected to drop with a 75 foot rg6 coax with one double female connector (that was replaced by first tech)

Current plan is too move the modem so it is connected to the drop with a 6 foot coax and run ethernet from modem to the router to see if errors go away and if they still exist, will replace the modem with a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem before calling Spectrum back, but would rather not buy a new modem if I do not have too.

Any thoughts on possible ways to resolve?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Event Log
Fri May 12 04:35:00 2023    3    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
Sat May 13 00:07:26 2023    5    Lost MDD Timeout;
Sat May 13 02:06:59 2023    3    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
Sat May 13 09:15:44 2023    5    Lost MDD Timeout;

Status - Modem rebooted on Thursday May 11 at @ 14:30 after tech visit.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 20 May 2023, 01:03

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello oldman,

We understand that you are facing intermittent issue on daily basis. Sorry for the inconvenience,  lets check on the cable signal levels .

Also, thanks for sharing the readings of the cable signal levels.

Looking at the values downstream bonded channels power values /snr are within acceptable range but upstream bonded channels power values are not within range where the  power values range should be between 45 to 52 dbmv .

Kindly contact ISP and increase the above said power values of upstream bonded channels . 

Let us know the feedback .

Badge

Not intermittent issues - just MDD errors being logged. Throughtput is excellent.

The upstream power values were 50 - 51 before the tech came out and removed the Forward Path Attenuator  as I stated due to those levels being higher than what their (Spectrum) specs.

I move the modem so that it is connected to the drop from the street via a new 6 foot cable - no change.

Installing a new modem this weekend to see if it is the modem that is the problem. If the issues still exist then I will be able to call them back and get them to look at the plant.