Question

G34 Ethernet for Room to Room

• 17 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m connecting the ethernet into Port 1 of the modem to the wall. In a separate room, I’m plugging a new ethernet cable from laptop to the wall CAT5 port. I’m not sure if there is a setting I need to do to use ethernet this way but it’s not working. 

Laptop is Mac and cables are new. I am inserting ethernet into docking station, it shows that, I see IPv4 and IPv6 but they are set to auto use etc.

Connecting laptop to modem directly works.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Do you have any access point or adaptor to connect two ethernet connection from LAN port on the modem to wall and from wall to other device?

Badge

This might be something on my end not understanding how this works…

But the LAN port 1 from modem connects to the wall in the living room. 

Second room, the ethernet going into the CAT5 wall outlet is then going into the laptop.

So the modem is in the living room and I’m in a different room. I’m under the assumption that if the modem connects to the CAT5 in the living room, I can use any CAT5 in the rooms for ethernet?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Could you check whether any damage on the cables inside the wall and also the ports?

Badge

I can try and open and check, check different rooms and see. But when Ethernet cable is plugged in, it flashes a white light once but nothing else.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

It could be a port issue. If you have any alternate port, you check by connecting the ethernet cable.