Solved

Disable IPv6 on G36?

• 11 February 2024
  • 11 replies

Badge

Can I disable IPv6 on my G36 to allow only IPv4? Does this require a separate router by using bridge mode?  My ISP can’t disable it for me. 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 1 March 2024, 17:53

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

On the modem interface or GUI after login access

The Gateway > Connection > Local IP Network > IPv6 > Disable > save settings

This will disable IPV6 on the mode G36

Badge

Under “IPv6” and “IPv4” I see options to uncheck “Enable Stateful (DHCP Server)” and “Enable IPv4/IPv4 DNS Relay”.

I unchecked “stateful” and later unchecked both, but was still receiving both IPv4 and IPv6 signals after saving changes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Could you uncheck the other option which is (Enable IPv4/IPv6 DNS Relay) and save the changes.

Badge

I think I have tried every combination but can you clarify if you mean to uncheck only the ‘enable IPV DNS Relay’ or uncheck both that and the ‘Enable Stateful’.  And is this under IPv4 or IPv6 section?

Again, I think I have tried all combinations of this but still am seeing IPv4 and IPv6 come through.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I suggest you uncheck both options Enable stateful (DHCP server) and Enable IPV4/IPV6 DNS Relay.

Badge

Yes I have done that. Are we sure that this product has the ability to disable IPv6?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Yes, the GUI web interface has a feature that allows you to disable IPV6. In case IPV6 is detectable on your devices, I advise turning it off.

Could you let us know the reason for disabling IPV6 on G36.

Badge

I have devices that don’t have the internal function to switch to/from IPv4 and IPv6, so I would need to do it from the router point. Am I missing a step?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

G36 does not have capability to disable IPv6 on the WAN interface. 

You can either disable IPv6 on the client device or ask your ISP to remove IPv6.  

On the modem interface or GUI after login access

The Gateway > Connection > Local IP Network > IPv6 > Disable > save settings

This will disable IPV6 on the mode G36

My ISP doesnt provide IPV6 so Ive disabled it via the modem website GUI. The result is the G36 constantly attempts to provision DHCPv6. Each attempt displaying in the event logs. Eventually the modem then drops all connections to DHCP including v4. Nearly all of my connection drops are somehow related to the modem handling DHCPv6 no matter which options are configurable user side.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

You can either disable IPv6 on the client device or ask your ISP to remove IPv6.  If you are experiencing with intermittent internet connection, I suggest you to check the cable signals and also change the Wi-Fi channels and monitor the same for the next 24 hours of time.

To check the cable signals and changing the Wi-Fi channels, find the link given below:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel