Question

MoCA setting disables itself after every modem restart - TG3452A

• 25 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello everyone. The MoCA configuration on my Arris TG3452A modem keeps going back to disabled after a restart. So every time an outage or anything happens that restarts the router, I have to go to the only part of the house where WiFi works, log into the device, and re-enable it so the extenders work again. If I’m not home, then everyone is up in arms. We work from home, so that’s a problem.

Does anyone have a clue why this setting would switch itself off on a restart?

The thing I’ve had this modem router for years and it used to retain its MoCA configuration just fine. For some reason this problem started a few months ago when we switched to a faster service tier. I can’t say it’s the cause of it, but it coincided with it. I’m wondering if a firmware update introduced the issue.

Two people at my ISP said it must be a faulty unit. They swapped it for a new one. I just tested it by simply restarting it (not resetting it, just restarting) from the web interface. Same problem.

A third person at my ISP said it’s normal that MoCA turns itself off because it’s not a standard configuration. I think I should probably ignore that statement because, well, can you imagine if every device lost its “non-standard” configurations after a restart?

Before anyone asks, MoCA is the only way we found to have reliable WiFi in our house. Before that, we went for years with spotty WiFi because the extenders weren’t able to reliably talk to each other, even if a few feet apart from one floor to another. I haven’t tried mesh, but MoCA works so I can’t say I’m tempted to try something else. All I want to know is why my router’s MoCA configuration isn’t sticking?

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

TG3452A is not supported by Arris. Arris supports only the retail products that are available on surfboard.com but not the ISP lease products.