Solved

G34 not getting IPv4 address on Xfinity

• 30 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I recently purchased a G34 for my mother, upon installing and working with Xfinity support to activate I noticed many web pages weren’t working unless they resolved to an IPv6 address.  Also ping to an IPv4 address (or hostname that resolves to an IPv4 address) doesn’t work.

I checked the Gateway > Connection > WAN tab and found that the modem is only getting an IPv6 address from Comcast and no IPv4 address (just 0.0.0.0 displayed).  I tried working with 5 different support representatives from Comcast and none of them could resolve, they didn’t even know what an IPv4 address was.  The only next step I was offered was them rolling a truck, I explained that IPv6 is working but IPv4 isn’t and they said we can roll a truck.  None of this makes sense as it’s pretty clear that the modem not being issued an IPv4 address is the root cause here and a technician physically looking at the modem isn’t going to make a difference as this is likely a provisioning issue.

Does anyone know how to get a competent support person at Comcast/Xfinity or what might be required to get this fixed?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 23 February 2024, 00:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You could also try using a different dns provider for the ipv4. I’ve seen that cause issues. 

Another thing you can do is try the xfinity reddit forum. Their mod’s are pretty responsive and knowledgeable. Tend to know a bit more than level 1 techs do

Badge +1

What is your setup for IPv6 with comcast? because I can’t Enable it even thought App setting is Enabled. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

By default on the webmanager page of G34 the IPV6 will be shown as “Enabled” only,

If you would like to acquire to activate the internet through IPV4 please contact your Internet Service Provider.  .