Question

Unable to see G34 Wifi on older computer

• 19 December 2022
  • 4 replies

I cannot see my G34 network on an older laptop. This is not a problem with the password not working.

The laptop’s network adapter is 802.11 n, so it should work. It’s not even seeing the G34 as an option to connect to.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello tsmeyer

I understand that you are unable to connect one particular device to the modem Wi-Fi network, since it is old computer i would suggest you to try connecting to 2.4 Wi-Fi network and also please try changing the Wi-Fi security mode to WPA2-PSK (AES) 

Make sure that you are in the modem setting page Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit Home 2.4 GHz> Security mode after changing the mode please restart the modem then try connecting computer to the Wi-Fi network

Let us know if this helps.

Still nothing. It’s not that it can’t connect, it can even see the device. It sees all my neighbors devices. It connects to my Samsung S21 just fine. For some reason, it cannot even see the G34. We have many other devices, and they have connected fine. 

This change did allow me to connect an older HP printer. So, thanks for that!

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

What actual wireless adapter is in the laptop? 

What driver is it running? 

Some of the older adapters had issues with AX when it came out. Most were fixed with firmware updates but not all of them issued updates. Or if they did, didn’t submit them to the windows update for drivers. So they didn’t get updated. Its worth checking into what card it is and getting the driver for it directly from the manufacturer of the wireless card (not the maker of the laptop)

It’s a Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E-NIC. Realtek doesn’t even list it as a supported device. Found some other drivers but they’re all considerably older than the one Microsoft lists. Tried two of them anyway, to no avail. Thinking of hooking up the old modem/hub and have two running. See if that works.

Thanks again,

Tom