Solved

Unstable Network Connection - Surfboard G34 with Sparklight

• 27 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I started using the G34 about a month ago and now I am experiencing "unstable network connection" errors and being dropped from meetings and other services.

My network speed tests around 500Mbps.The drivers have been updated. The wifi channel has been changed. I've done all the things recommended that I've read here so far. I specifically got the G34 because it was recommended and on the approved list for my I SP (Sparklight). 

What's left to do? Is this normal? Is there a better modem?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 29 August 2023, 15:37

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello GinaMLS

If the intermittent connection is only on the WIFI we need to change the WIFI channel and if still issue persist we need to check the cable signal level of the modem to isolate the issue so this will help us to check the issue properly so, please follow the steps mentioned on the below article to check on cable signal level.

What we are checking here is the way the signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

Thank you.  I checked and found this:

Downstream Power Levels (dBmV) run in the 3’s and 2’s. and the SNR is over the recommended number at 35 & 36’s.

However, my Upstream QAM Power Levels (dBMV) are between 42-44, which would be out of the desired range you indicated.

Does that need to be fixed? If so, how?

Gina

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Yes,  here the upstream values are not in accepted range so this needs to be checked again after reconfiguring the modem  please do hard reset on the modem then check again the signal levels. Even after resetting the modem if the values are same then it needs to be corrected and that can be done by the service provider remotely, all you need to do is to contact your ISP and they will fix the issue.