Skip to main content

I’ve been using Nord VPN on 3 devices (with an old Arris modem and Apple Airport Extreme) for over a year with no issues. Then I moved to a new location and Comcast said they don’t support my old Arris modem so bought the G36. The 3 devices using Nord VPN will work for a few minutes then suddenly nothing will load. There are no problems with the 4+ other devices that don’t use the VPN. I turned off the VPN and the devices have worked fine for the past few days.

I then discovered that Nord VPN discontinued PPTP support in 2018:

https://nordvpn.com/blog/l2tp-pptp-protocol-update/

Arris support had me insure the PPTP checkbox in my gateway settings was checked. Someone called me back and said PPTP is the only VPN protocol. They’ve told me to contact Nord VPN. That’s it.

I can’t be the only Nord VPN customer who bought an Arris gateway. Anyone figured out the trick?

I regret buying this Arris product.

Hello another_simpleton

We understand that you are having issues with the Nord VPN connection, But since you have also mentioned that you can able to access internet without VPN it shows that your modem working fine there is no issue on the modem and we are very sorry that you are un satisfied with our Arris product, but since this is on Nord VPN we would suggest you to check with the VPN team to fix this because their might be a miss configuration of VPN to the modem will cause this type of issue.

Checking the PPTP box won’t do anything when Nord VPN no longer uses PPTP.  It’s now a matter of allowing OpenVPN through the G36 for your Nord VPN to work.  I read a 4-yr old comment from your link and other user also unable to get Nord VPN to work after buying a new router.  The problem is not limited to ARRIS gateway.