Question

Devices connected to 2.5G port through unmanaged switch lose internet after going to Sleep

• 27 March 2023
  • 1 reply

I have a TP-Link TL-SG105-M2 unmanaged 2.5G switch connected to the 2.5G port of the Arris G36. Devices connected to the switch can access the internet just fine until they go to sleep. Upon waking up, the device will say it’s connected to a local network, but not the internet. Unplugging & replugging the switch resolves this.

• When a device is connected directly to the 2.5G port (no switch), it has no issues
  • When the switch is connected to one of the Gigabit ports, it has no issues (besides the lower bandwidth)
  • After setting my device to never fall asleep, it has maintained a connection for days

I’m using relatively new, short CAT6 cables for all scenarios. I believe the G36 is on factory defaults besides network name and password.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Update: I purchased a TRENDnet TEG-S350 unmanaged 2.5G switch and am experiencing the same behavior. Has anyone had success with a 2.5G switch connected to the G36?

If it’s relevant, I’m on an Xfinity Gigabit plan