Solved

Intermittent internet connection on G36

• 29 December 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

Since mid December I have been experiencing excessive intermittent connectivity with my Arris G36. I replaced what I thought was a defective Fire Stick 4K Max, but after much research it turns out that Xfinity is to blame with their failed upgrade to blah blah blah 4.0.

The newest firmware update that was pushed out to us is garbage and needs to be reverted back to the previously working firmware. 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 1 January 2024, 04:30

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Are you facing intermittent issue only on WIFI or even with direct connection?

If this is on WIFI, is this happening on both the network 2.4 and 5G as well?

Badge +1

Both channels drop out but it happens more often on 5G. If I had to put a number on it, I would say 70/30 in favor of the 5G.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing with Wi-Fi intermittent internet connection, let me help you to change the channels.

I suggest you to follow the steps to change the channels on the below given link:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Once you changed the channels, I suggest you to monitor it for the next 24hours of time.

Badge +1

I scanned Wi-Fi spectrum. 2.4 had 4 pages of connections. 5G had no data to display. No 5G devices were found. 5G radio, channel selection was set to automatic and the channel said zero. I'm trying to change it to 40 so I can rescan and see if anything shows up, but the connection keeps timing out. It’s taking between 5 and 10 minutes for the page to update after a selection is made. It’s a bit annoying. It timed out for the 12 time. After logging back in the 5G channel 40 had been saved. 🙄

I rescanned using the Wi-Fi analyzer and found the results looked similar to the information in your how to change channel tutorial.

5G UNII-1 & 2 had 8 ch.44 connections.

5G 2E had zero.

5G 3 had 2 pages. 1 on ch. 153, 11 on ch. 157 and 1 on ch. 161.

It takes sooooo long to navigate to different menu options. It’s like there is no internet connection on my 192.168.0.1

in your humble opinion, what channel should I use for my 5G?

Thanks for your time. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

You have to select the least congested channels, Since channel number 153 and 161 are assigned under only one mac address, you can select either one 153 or 161.

Once you changed the channels, monitor the performance for the next 24hours of time.

Badge +1

Thanks 

Badge +1

I'm still having connection issues 

Badge +1

Since mid December I have been experiencing excessive intermittent connectivity with my Arris G36. I replaced what I thought was a defective Fire Stick 4K Max, but after much research it turns out that Xfinity is to blame with their failed upgrade to blah blah blah 4.0.

The newest firmware update that was pushed out to us is garbage and needs to be reverted back to the previously working firmware. 

TBT I never said I was good at this. 

Badge +1

You have to select the least congested channels, Since channel number 153 and 161 are assigned under only one mac address, you can select either one 153 or 161.

Once you changed the channels, monitor the performance for the next 24hours of time.

I initially selected 40 because it was a option and nothing or no one with in range was using 40. Is this an option for my stuff or does it need to be 153 or 161? Is there a 157 option since it would be right in the middle? I dunno, just asking questions. 

Charlie A. Did you find a solution? I have had the same issue for a month now. I’m to the point of buying a new setup. Thanks in advance! 

Badge +1

Charlie A. Did you find a solution? I have had the same issue for a month now. I’m to the point of buying a new setup. Thanks in advance! 

It's been a learning process. Channels, spectrum and congestion among other things. I didn't know that Comcast was responsible for the distribution of the firmware that Arris writes. In my opinion Comcast/Xfinity wants it's custom to only use their equipment so it's not in there best interest to supply us with a quality solution to this problem. I think "they" want us to relent and option for their very overpriced X1 10G BS solution. That's not for me. 

Solution:

1) wait it out and hope for the best

2) see if there is a way to revert firmware to a previous working download (unlikely)

3) find a WiFi Modem that doesn't rely on Xfinity pushing out the firmware update (again unlikely)

My WiFi situation has improved a bit after changing to a less congested channel but the 2.4 still drops out.