Question

G36 firmware update issue

• 16 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

I just brought a G36, now being told I need a firmware update to 1.05

I see a lot of frustration out there about this.

Xfinity tells me they do not do it. Not true I know.

Where do I go from here?

Bottom line for me should I just return the g36?

Sorry if this is old news. I should have done better checking before buying it.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Firmware updates cannot be done manually that can be done remotely by the service provider even for the device owned by the customers  the updates can be sent by the ISP only since they are the one sending signals to the modem. So you can check for the latest version and for any updates with your service provider.

Badge

I had a field rep stop by. The only answer he had was that Xfinity does NOT handle firmware updates.

He even called someone to get the “correct” information.

Same answer!!

At the end I was told a supervisor would look more into it.

I am not holding my breath.

Could there be any more confusion?

Sad

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

ARRIS develops the software update and makes it available to service providers. 

The service providers qualify, test, and distribute the software update to devices on their network.  ARRIS has limited control or visibility over distribution by the service providers.

It is absolutely ridiculous the back and forth on this topic. First of all, why wouldn't Arris have a firmware update link and provide a link with Xfinity for the 1.05 firmware to do the process manually??? Everyone keeps saying Xfinity has not rolled out the update to all locations which might be true but might it also be true that there is a hardware revision issue on Arris' part which is preventing automatic install? Further, there is no indication one way or the other if an update is queued. Seriously!? This was supposed to be the best hardware out there. My/our experience has been far from stellar. And to add, the GUI is not working. I've seen better interfaces on 20 year old routers. Arris, please get your affairs in order. This is the collective voice of your customers. Telling them Xfinity is the problem is not the way. YOU work with Xfinity around the clock until this is resolved for ALL G36/Xfinity owners/users. Thank you. Good day.

Badge

I have returned the G36. Nightmare over. I got a Netgear cax80 that has split firmware updates. I can update the router, but the modem still needs to be updated by Xfinity as usual, I guess. At least now I don’t have the issues I was having with the G36 due to 1.04 firmware.

So after a little bit of digging, I came across the thread about going into ALG in the web access settings and disabling SIP. Not sure why this is enabled by default because other manufacturers indicate it is not commonly used. I disabled it and since doing so, ZERO dropped calls. I cannot believe Arris has not advised this on these message threads.