Solved

How to replace SBG6580 with G36 on Xfinity/Comcast?

• 11 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I currently have an SBG6580 that has to be rebooted every week or so to reconnect to wifi. Comcast says this model is outdated, so I bought a lightly used G36 on eBay.

I connected the G36 today. It lit up with a solid blue light I but could not get the wifi or Ethernet working. Comcast support did whatever they do on their end and said their system did not recognize this modem.They’ll send out a technician to set it up for a fee (probably).

I was using my cell phone data for search and setup. arrris.com/selfhelp is a circular reference leading to this community, hardly what I call self-help. I am unable to connect to the modem GUI on my cell phone. I was unable to find the manual for the G36 on the Arris Web site. I was unable to find out where to register the G36.  Arris support phone claims to be open 24/7 but it’s closed on weekends.

What do I have to do to get this G36 online, before I have to pay a Comcast technician?

PS Very dismaying to see so many complaints of the G36 dropping Comcast connections. Is this newer, more expensive modem not any more reliable than SBG6580.

PPS To my eye, the modem design is pretentious and oversized.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 15 December 2023, 19:13

View original

5 replies

Badge +1

Comcast tried 3 times on their side to register this Arris G36 modem. They cannot register it, they claim this causes a system error. It’s on the Comcast approved list for my area.

What is the problem??

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

G36 is compatible with your internet service provider so you can activate modem after connecting device to the power and coax on the Xfinity application or you can contact Xfinity for activation after activation you can setup the modem by connecting any device to the modem WIFI network and follow the steps mentioned on the below article to setup modem.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SURFboard-Central-Wi-Fi-Cable-Modem-Setup

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation

Badge +1

Thanks for the response, Surfboard Moderator.

Your response indicates that either the Xfinity app or the Surfboard Central app can register and initiate the modem? Both of them do the same job?

or you can contact Xfinity for activation

What do you make of Comcast’s inability to register the modem several times already? FYI

Comcast tried 3 times on their side to register this Arris G36 modem. They cannot register it, they claim this causes a system error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you have mentioned that already tried to activate the modem with internet service provider and its not successful.

I suggest you to factory reset the modem and try with self activation on Xfinity application.

For your reference, let me share the link:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation

Once it get activated, modem will restarts on its own. I suggest you to connect the Wi-Fi with default credentials which is at the bottom of the modem and try to access the internet.

Badge +1

A Comcast tech visited and registered the G36. There wasn’t any magic involved. I don’t know why Comcast phone support couldn’t do it. Tech advised me not to depend on Comcast phone support.

Subsequent setup call with Arris involved a factory reset. Tip: Have a paper clip on hand to press the recessed Reset button for 30 seconds. After that, everything worked. (Surfboard Central on my phone wasn’t any help.)