Question

Intermittent connection issue. Could the G36 with COX have similar issues as noted with Xfinity?

Badge

We’ve been having intermittent outages with our 2-year old G36 using Cox cable that sound similar to what’s been described for Xfinity.  The issues started a few weeks ago after having our Cox service upgraded - which BTW when working have really improved our speeds.  I’ve perfomed a factory reset & Cox has run their remote tests and stated there are no issues on their end.  Just wondering if the same type of Xfinitly issue could possibly be happening with Cox?  My next step is to purchase an new gateway (or maybe seperate modem & router) to replace the G36...I’m also wondering if I should try a different brand as a comparison (please note that I’m not trying to be controversial...just thinking about process of elimination).  Thanks for any feedback & hope your issues get resolved sooner than later...it’s definitily frustrating.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello DNP 

As you are facing intermittent connection, could you let us know is it in wired or wireless ?

Is the cable signal levels and Wi-Fi channels have been changed ?

Share your troubleshooting steps so we can proceed further.

Badge

Sorry for the delayed reply and I’m happy to say that the G36 is still good to go...there were no issues with the gateway.  The problem was resolved after Cox sent out a service tech who was able to immediately determine that some of the components within the outdoor cable junction box required a simple modifiction in order to accommodate the upgraded bandwidth.  Apparently, the issue wasn’t something that Cox was able to identify during the multiple hours of phone based tech support which resulted in them stating the issue was not on their end - when inreality it was.  Thanks again for looking to help out.

Badge

Hello,

I'm seeing the same issues with Cox that was mentioned with Xfinity.  Have had a G36 since January 2023 and for the first month worked great.  Then the issues started, almost on a daily basis with a connected, no internet error.  Arris support mentioned it was upstream power levels being too low and to have Cox increase those levels and re-register the G36.  

Tried multiple times and Cox sent techs to my house on two separate occasions.  No luck and everything showed nominal from Cox's end.  Went back to Arris and they sent me a new G36 as part of the warranty.  New G36 again worked for a month and now I have to power cycle every other day when connection fails.  

This failure occurs on 5ghz and 2.4ghz.  Both on wired and wireless connections.  Have tried updating to different channels that are least used.  Nothing works and have the issue at least every other day, typically in the middle of my work day.

Is this a known issue with Cox (in AZ) as well like it is with Xfinity?  Anyone have additional information or how I might be able to finally fix issues with the G36?

Thanks for any help that can be provided, 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello,

I'm seeing the same issues with Cox that was mentioned with Xfinity.  Have had a G36 since January 2023 and for the first month worked great.  Then the issues started, almost on a daily basis with a connected, no internet error.  Arris support mentioned it was upstream power levels being too low and to have Cox increase those levels and re-register the G36.  

Tried multiple times and Cox sent techs to my house on two separate occasions.  No luck and everything showed nominal from Cox's end.  Went back to Arris and they sent me a new G36 as part of the warranty.  New G36 again worked for a month and now I have to power cycle every other day when connection fails.  

This failure occurs on 5ghz and 2.4ghz.  Both on wired and wireless connections.  Have tried updating to different channels that are least used.  Nothing works and have the issue at least every other day, typically in the middle of my work day.

Is this a known issue with Cox (in AZ) as well like it is with Xfinity?  Anyone have additional information or how I might be able to finally fix issues with the G36?

Thanks for any help that can be provided, 

Since you are experiencing with intermittent internet connection and already changed the Wi-Fi channels with least congested one, I suggest you to share the firmware version to check whether its old or latest firmware version. 

Badge

Hello, 

The current firmware version on my G36 is below.  If an update is needed, how do I go about doing so?  And if the issue happens to get worse, God forbid, is there a way to roll the change back?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As I checked, the firmware version is old one. I suggested you to do Re provisioning the modem with your internet service provider to update the latest firmware version.

Badge

Hello,

As I have purchased the G36 outright, my ISP won't be pushing out the firmware.  Where can I download the latest firmware for the G36 and install myself?  Also, if needed, how can I roll back to a previous firmware version?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello,

As I have purchased the G36 outright, my ISP won't be pushing out the firmware.  Where can I download the latest firmware for the G36 and install myself?  Also, if needed, how can I roll back to a previous firmware version?

Thanks!

Firmware version is updated only by your internet service provider. Please contact them for further assistance.

Badge

Well, just talked with Cox and the firmware mentioned previously is the current version in their ecosystem so back to square one and just SOL until a solution is available.

Thanks,

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Could you please help us with your current speed plan to help you on this further.

Badge

500 down, 50 up

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Firmware version update is applicable only for customers who are having  Xfinity as their  ISP. 

Since you are experiencing with wired and wireless intermittent issue, also you had mentioned that already the Wi-Fi channels had been changed.

Hence, lets  check the cable signal levels by following the below link: 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

Yes, already have.  Upstream values are in low to mid 30s which Arris says is too low but when a tech from Cox came to my house on two separate occasions, everything is good on their end as values are in range.  All lines and connection points also checked and good to go.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Basically, slow speed, intermittent connection or no internet access occurs usually out of cable signal level, out of acceptable range and it will be resolved after the power level are adjusted by the service provider.

So for this we need to check the cable signal level to confirm what causing this issue to proceed further. Please follow the steps mentioned on the below article to check the signal level on the modem interface.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels