Question

slow speed on G36

• 21 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge +1

I recently bought G36 and replaced modem I rented from Xfinity. I have 800mbps speed on my Xfinity account and I was able to see such speed during testing with modem I rented. But with G36 I can’t see speed faster 400mbps. Is it the fastest wifi speed I can get from G36? From description of G36 I understood that wifi speed should be up to 2.5 gbps, but I have less then quoter of it. Is there some guidance how troubleshoot and fix it?

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

how are you testing speeds? 

The G36 should hit gigabit without issue. 

So I’m curious if you’re testing with a device hardwired in? Wireless?
What site are you testing on? 

Did you try xfinity’s test site?

Badge +1

I’m testing with help of https://www.speedtest.net/ on my mobile phone. Previously I did same testing with Xfinity modem and I saw 800mpbs + and wifi was 6e. With Arris G36  wifi is 6 and I can’t see more than 400mbs for some reason.

My laptop connected to Arris G36 via Wifi shows less than 400mbps. 
When I connected my laptop to G36 via 2.5 Ethernet cord it showed me 800mbps +

So it is evidently something wrong with my Arris G36 Wifi. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

A couple things. 

1. 6e is triband. thats 2.4/5/6ghz. Not just the 2.4/5ghz of wifi 6
  2. What is your link speed on the phone and the laptop? 
  3. Did you try changing the 5ghz channel the router is on?
Badge +1

my speed on phone and laptop (via wifi) is up to 400mbps, with XFinity modem it was 800+ on phone 

Badge +1

when I connect modem to laptop via ethernet cord I can see speed 900mbps +

so this is definitely wifi adapter of modem or settings.

I tried to do reset and it didn’t help 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing with slow Wi-Fi speed internet connection, I suggest you to change the Wi-Fi channels and monitor it for next 24hours of time.

To change the Wi-Fi channels, find the steps in the below given link:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Badge +1

I changed channels and it didn’t help. How can I get warranty replacement?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

what wifi card is in the laptop? 

What is your link speed? 

Badge +1

I’m not sure about laptop but my wifi and I have Samsung s23+ and speed with xfinity modem was 900mbps+ now it is below 400mbps mostly 100-300. And I’m testing speed by sitting next to modem. in different room speed could be less than 100mbps. 

Badge +1

with xfinity modem I saw 6e sign next to wifi sign not it is just 6.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

So you had the triband router from xfinity that had 6ghz. its another class up. 

I see what you’re saying your speeds are but I’m curious what your link speeds are. 

Badge +1

With  Xfinity I have 800mbps plan and I can see such speed and even slightly more (~900mbps) if I connect modem using ethernet cable. But via wifi I saw only speed less than 400mbps.