Solved

WIFI client intermittent disconnection with G36 on Xfinity

• 8 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I purchased the G36 modem/router because it specifically had Wifi 6. Sometimes I am getting very good and fast connection with my devices, but other times, at least once or twice a day, my devices will lose connection and sometimes disconnect from the network entirely. I have to restart the G36 each time this happens and things work again but this usually takes about 5 minutes at least which is not acceptable when on a work call. 

Are there any resolutions or firmware updates that might fix this? 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 22 January 2024, 17:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Is this intermittent connection issue is only happening on WIFI or even with direct connection?

If you are having devices using only WIFI we would suggest you to try changing WIFI channels will avoid interference and that will give better speed and connection.

If other Wi-Fi sources such as neighboring wireless access points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause intermittent connectivity issues, even if the competing signal is relatively weak. Changing the wireless channel within the  gateway can improve connectivity. After changing WIFI channel as recommended on the link restart the modem then we would request you to monitor the connection for next 24hrs.Follow the steps mentioned on the below article to change the WIFI channel.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Badge

Hi and thanks for the response. I read this and see in the first note 1 that “NOTE 1: It is recommended to leave the Channel default setting at Auto and restart the G34/G36.  The best Wi-Fi channel will be selected upon restart.  Keep in mind that the connected Wi-Fi clients temporarily lose Internet connection when the G34/G36 is restarting.”

I would prefer the router select the channel in auto as stated as opposed to me doing this each time. Do you think that once a new channel is selected, this would be a permanent fix to this issue? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Usually due to Wi-Fi congestion or Wi-Fi traffic, the device will starts with intermittent internet connection, if you changing the channel with least congested by using Wi-Fi spectrum analyzer would helps to fix this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hope you can change the Wi-Fi channels from Auto mode, please assign the best least congested channels by following the below link.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel.

By changing the Wi-Fi channels will be able to access the Wi-Fi without any interruptions, Also check if the Co-axial cable is proper without any cuts or loose ends, is the modem is kept in an open environment without any electromagnetic devices next to them .

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hope you can change the Wi-Fi channels from Auto mode, please assign the best least congested channels by following the below link.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel.

By changing the Wi-Fi channels will be able to access the Wi-Fi without any interruptions, Also check if the Co-axial cable is proper without any cuts or loose ends, is the modem is kept in an open environment without any electromagnetic devices next to them .