Question

No IPv4 address (only IPv6) on router - S33

• 30 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello,

I have just purchased a an Arris S33 to use with my ISP (Cox) and my Google Nest Wifi (router).

If I power up the modem and the router at the same time (like after a power outage), the router will not get an IPv4 address, but only an IPv6 address.

If I unplug and plug back in the router into the modem, then it will get an IPv4 address.

If I disable IPv6 in the router, then the problem does not happen.

If I use my older modem (Cisco DPC3010), then the problem does not happen.

Cox support believes the problem is with the Arris router because it does not happen with the older modem (and everything else being the same).

Thanks,

Ludovico

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case we would suggest you to try re provisioning modem by contacting your service provider then check the connection again with the router and if still same issue persist please do get back to us for further assistance.

Badge

Reprovisioning the modem did note help. 

I have a capture of the traffic between the router and the modem, if that helps diagnosing the issue.

I see multiple DHCP requests coming from the router and they seem to be ignored by the router.

Badge

you can see

• packet 756 is a NAK (for the temporary IP address 192.168.100.0/24).
  • DHCP requests for transaction 0x1588f5d are never replied with an ACK
Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I suggest powering on the modem first; once the LED light turns solid, power on the router to recognize the modem.

Badge

This only works if I am there.

After a power outage I lose Internet connectivity if I am not home.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Please help us with the Firmware version for S33 and WAN IP for the Google Nest WIFI Router.

Badge

Firmware of the S33: TB01.03.001.11_051722_212.S3

WAN IP for the Google Nest WIFI Router:

• when the issue happens, it does not get an IP address
  • right now it is online as 68.6.109.132

Thanks,

Ludovico