Question

S33 intermittent internet connection

• 27 January 2024
  • 12 replies

Badge +1

I bought my Arris S33 modem July 4 2022 through Amazon for over $300.00

less than two years have gone by (07/04/2022 - 01/26/2024) and my warranty with Arris is already expired according to their website.

I have been experiencing a lot of problems staying connected to the internet even though I usually get nice speeds when I am connected.  I went to my ISP, Optimum, and the front counter associate checked out my modem and let me know it was causing the intermittent issues due to 4 bad channels out of the 32 channels it has.  He then explained to me that the modem most likely does not have anyway of just turning off the 4 bad channels.  So, my question is can I fix my modem such as turning off the 4 bad channels it has, or can I still return my modem to Arris to have them fix and/or replace it even though it’s no longer under warranty?

Thanks for any help in advance.

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Basically, intermittent connection or no internet access occurs usually out of cable signal level, out of acceptable range and it will be resolved after the power level are adjusted by the service provider. So for this we need to check the cable signal level to confirm what causing this issue to proceed further. 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge +1

I appreciate the attempt at helping me SURFboard moderator, but I did explicitly explain the reason why I am having connectivity issues is because my brand new (less than two years old) modem has 4 bad channels on it. Please re-read my original post to see what I am asking, thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I doubt the front counter person knew what they were talking about. You don’t get 4 channels that go bad on the modem. reason why is the modem is designed to switch channels around based on needs. Whats more likely is:

1. they didn’t know what they were doing.
  2. you have errors on those channels. Thats something the isp needs to fix

So your best bet is to get a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs and post it on here. 

Badge +1

The front counter associate ran a test on the modem and explained the modem had 4 channels that are bad out of the 32 channels it has.  This would make perfect since why my modem is getting intermittent internet connection, because it does occasionally switch to one of the four bad channels which then drops my internet connection.  In addition, he spoke using the IT jargon with ease and definitely made it look and sound like he knew what he is talking about.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If the downstream channels are bad out of 32 channels, I suggest you to check only with internet service provider because they are the one who providing signals to the modem.

I suggest you to contact your internet service provider and ask them to do re provisioning the modem.

Also let us know whether the intermittent issue is with wired connection or wireless connection.

Badge +1

The ISP I use (Optimum) is who checked my modems channels and let me know 4 of the 32 channels are bad..  they then concluded this is why I am having my internet cut-off suddenly for no apparent reason.  Which is when my modem switches to using one of the four bad channels I know longer have internet.. the problem exists for wired and wireless connections as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I advise you to re-provision the modem in order to resolve this problem since they are the one who providing signals to the modem.

Tell us if the Led light changes in any way while you're having intermittent internet connections.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As mentioned earlier. let us know the status of the LED lights on the modem at the time of intermittent internet connection, also please share the screen snip of cable connections page and event logs and post it on here. So, we can have an idea about the issue more clear.

Badge +1

My ISP is Optimum.  The guy that tested my modem is one of the sales associates for Optimum.  In addition, he knew a ton about networking, internet, modems, etc… I also have already had my “signal” tested with multiple Optimum Service-Techs and they all say the signal is great. I already know the problem is my modem is FU$&ING damaged!!! It has 32 total channels and 4 of them are not working….  My original question was not asking any of you to misread my question and then give me terrible answers to questions I never asked in the first place… My question is can I get Arris to replace and/or fix my modem if I bought it almost two years ago now.  My second question is.  Is it possible for me to turn off the four bad channels my modem has out of the 32 channels which would then solve my problem of my internet dropping when my modem decides to try and use one of the four bad channels it has.

Badge

For what it’s worth, I began experiencing this same issue a few months back, on the my unit, purchased around the same time. It was an intermittent but, it is now happening multiple times a day.
I came to this forum to find out what I might do about it. Hoping there might be a firmware update or other easy fix. I’m on Xfinity in Portland. 
From what I can read here, the unit is failing and I will soon be in the market for an upgrade. 

Badge +1

Moot, I believe you are correct in saying you need to just buy a new (nicer) modem than the Arris is putting up for sell.  I was lucky, when I happened to upgrade the speed plan of my internet they were having a promotion for getting a free-to-use modem which is working great and solved all of my problems that the S33 is giving me.

Badge +1

I love how this forum just made this post “ “Solved” “ even though absolutely nothing has been solved at all.. Terrible forum.