Solved

S33 Not connecting to the internet with a direct ethernet wired connection

• 11 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello, 

I have an S33 modem with Spectrum internet. The spectrum tech installed the modem and it has been hooked up to a wireless router and working fine with all wi-fi connections. After the install I connected the modem directly to a network switch and the wireless router still works fine. However I have connected an NVR home security system to the switch that requires direct ethernet and it wont connect. I called the security camera support and they are telling me that the direct line is IPV6 and it needs to be IPV4 to work. I am also experiencing no internet connection my wired Samsung smart tvs. Is there an easy fix?

icon

Best answer by plemans 11 January 2024, 19:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

One issue I see all the time is people using both ports on the S33 and SB8200. They have 2x ports but the majority of ISP’s only supply 1 public ip address. meaning only 1 device can be connected directly to the modem. 

So it needs to go modem--->router--->switch/devices

Is that what you’re doing because your post makes it sound like you directly connected the switch to the modem. 

Badge

Correct, there is only one active port that is working from the modem. That is connected by ethernet directly to the switch and then on to the router that works fine for the wifi signal. I have tried to connect that single active port directly to the NVR and still get the same result of no connection. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You can’t go modem--->switch----->router/devices

It has to go modem---->router---->switch/devices. 

Something has to manage nat/dhcp and thats the router. 

Badge

I understand what you are saying now, let me give this a shot and report back. Thanks so much for your feedback and reply.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Hope it works!

Badge

This worked, Im all up and running now! Glad is was so simple. Thanks plemens!