Solved

S33 Packet Loss/Latency & Upstream Power Levels

• 19 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I previously posted on here because I had issues with my sbg8300 as I was getting under 1% packet loss and latency issues.  I assumed maybe it was the modem since it has a puma chipset and I read about those having issues with packet processing.  Recently got a S33 and it was working great for 2 weeks, then I noticed 1% packet loss in games again, and I ran some tests and realized it was the exact same issue as before.

I went to my modem admin page and checked out the power levels and such and noticed that the Upstream does not fall within the range Arris said is acceptable (45-51 dBmv I believe) (my previous SBG8300 also was not in the range).  This makes me think since I got a new modem, maybe xfinity is not delivering the proper power levels.  I was thinking maybe a reverse attenuator could increase it, but I am not sure if I need it or if this is an issue. 

Main question: Does the power level falling a few dBmv below the acceptable range cause high latency and ~1% packet loss.

If this is the case, how would a technician fix this issue?  I don’t want them to come out and charge me for nothing.

Thanks

S33 Admin Page Signal Levels

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 22 December 2023, 02:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

So the lowest values needs to be corrected by the internet service provider please contact your ISP to re provision the modem and monitor the connection.

Badge

Yeah I get that but could this be causing the ~1% packet loss?  Also I saw plenty of stuff online saying Xfinity won’t adjust that, so how would I go about asking them?  What about just getting an attuentator I saw online that might be able to boost it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If the signals are not in range, then that would cause packet loss. 

I suggest you to contact your internet service provider to Re provisioning the modem.

Badge

I appreciate the response, however, it did not help.  I explained to xfinity and they are not able to help. “I would like to inform you that you are using your own modem and all the setting and updates can be done by the manufacturer as we can just fix the issue regarding the speed and signals.”  I mean xfinity says that your S33 is compatible, so why is this an issue in the first place?  I am not the first one to experience this cause I saw other posts about it, so what should i do?  Thanks in advance

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Arris is the manufacturer, but signals are provided only by your internet service provider. So they only having the access to adjust the signals.

If your internet service provider refused to adjust the signals, ask them to Re provisioning the modem by deactivate the Mac address and reactivate the same.