Solved

Surfboard cable modem S33 D3.1 with low upload speeds-s33

• 28 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I'm an Xfinity internet customer experiencing an issue with my modem's upload speed. While my download speeds are good (around 450 Mbps), the upload speed is erratic, ranging from 0.1 to 1 Gbps within a short time frame.

A technician visited my house and checked the coax connections and modem performance. Although they didn't find any obvious issues, they suspected a possible hardware failure within the modem. They temporarily installed a different cable modem, and the upload speed stabilized significantly.

The modem I'm currently using is an Arris model purchased in February 2021. Given the technician's suspicion and the temporary fix, I'm considering replacing the modem. However, I'm unsure if this is a common issue with Arris modems or if 3 years is the typical lifespan for such devices.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether to replace the modem and what brand/model to consider. Has anyone else experienced similar upload speed fluctuations with their Arris modem?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 30 December 2023, 08:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If the upload speed on the modem is dropping and its happening on the modem without router then we need to check on the cable signal level on the modem interface to isolate the issue so please follow the steps mentioned on the below article to check the signal level. Could you please also help us with your current speed plan.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

The signal levels are within the acceptable range and the modem is not connected through a router.

This is my plan: Download speed: up to 1200 Mbps, Upload speed: up to 35 Mbps

Since the Xfinity technician installed their own modem, I haven't experienced any upload issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If you are experiencing with upload speed, you have to check only with internet service provider.

I suggest you to re provisioning the modem with your ISP to fix this issue.