Skip to main content
Question

S33 Modem Not Acquiring Downstream Channel on Sparklight

• 5 September 2024
  • 2 replies

Greetings,

In the past few days my S33 modem, which until now has performed perfectly well, has suddenly stopped connecting to Sparklight’s cable network. After investigating the interface, I learned that it was stuck at “acquiring downstream channel,” and after calling Sparklight learned that it had suddenly dropped off their network and as far as they could tell everything on their end was working fine. I’ve attempted several restarts and two factory resets, which have done nothing, and am not sure what to do next.

I wanted to call or chat with Arris technical support, since this modem is in warranty until December 28th 2025, but the live chat option on their support webpage only says that it’s working without any interface for actually connecting to chat (in Firefox, Safari, or Chrome), and the call section doesn’t actually list any phone numbers to call. So I can’t do that, either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for further troubleshooting activity or other suggestions for next steps?

Sorry, really old school here, but I had a strange internet connectivity problem a few years ago.  My cable TV access was fine, but somehow internet was intermittent.  Turned out the signal strength on the connection from my house to the rest of the world was very weak.  After a service call to check and correct the problem (they had to run a new wire from the last box to my house) everything cleared up.

Could be something like that even today, I think.  Good luck!

Could you let us know the LED light status on the modem?

Also, let us know whether the modem is connected directly to the computer or with a router.