Solved

Wi-Fi password to connect Samsung tv on SB6183

• 2 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

Recently connected Samsung TV using Xfinity internet and lost the connection. It is asking for a password and I don’t know which number on the modem I should be using to reconnect WiFi.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 19 January 2024, 00:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SB6183 is a modem only device. It does not have an integrated router. 

do you have a router connected to it? 

Badge

I don’t think they put a router in because it’s only connected to the TV. It was working fine until there was a power surge and it disconnected the internet connnection to the TV.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You should always have a router after the modem if only for its ability to firewall. 

Badge

What number is the password? Am I entering the P/N number that is on the bottom of the modem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If you’re directly connecting a device to the modem, you shouldn’t need any password. 

The password is only for if you want to log into it and manage its settings. Which there isn’t much on that device. 

And if the tv is connected, you can’t connect another device to it to log into it anyway. 

Badge

Then why is it asking for a password when we’re trying to reconnect the TV to the WiFi?

Badge

We want to manage the settings on the Samsung and add apps

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Then why is it asking for a password when we’re trying to reconnect the TV to the WiFi?

That device has ZERO wifi. Its a modem only device. So if you’re trying to connect something to the wifi, it isn’t yours. Or you do have a router and just don’t know it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As per the above information, could you let us know if the Samsung TV is connected through wireless or wired? 

The modem that you are having is a 3.0 cable modem which provides internet through wired devices either directly connected to a computer/laptop (ethernet port) or wireless when directly connected to a Router (Wi-Fi device).

Please check the ethernet cable connection that goes from the back of the modem and check to which device it is connected a Router TV or computer/laptop?

As you are enquiring about a password probably a Wi-Fi password which is not available on the sb6183 as it is not a Wi-Fi device 

If the modem is connected to another device for Wi-Fi which is known as “Router” please check the Wi-Fi name and password at the bottom of the router. 

Mostly, the Wi-Fi name and password known as SSID or Wi-Fi Network Key/Name.