Skip to main content
Question

new arris owner

• 4 September 2024
  • 6 replies

I just purchased a new modem I thought was a 2 in 1 modem router. It's an SB6190 I see I'm connected directly. I don't see a router name to connect wireless. That & with the direct connection I'm on a nat type 1. I need a nat type 2 to play games online. Anyone know how to get to a type 2 signal ? What happened to the days when we bought a product & could actually talk to someone to get everything set up properly within the first 24hr? 

The SB6190 is just a cable modem, it’s not a 2-in-1 combo unit as it doesn’t have a built-in Wi-Fi router.  And it doesn’t have NAT.  If your game console is connected to a Wi-Fi router, you might need to set up port forward or DMZ type set up on the router.

I did a direct connection to the modem. I did a connection test. The connection test says type 1. When I try to get into game with my brother. He is on a nat type 2 signal or connection. It won't let us join each other in game with the different signals. Only thing I can do with this modem at this current moment is watch Netflix.  Not what I had originally intended for. I'd like to play my games online with it. I tried to call customer support several times last week after buying this device.  What happened to customer support for arris products?

Since your brother is getting NAT Type 2, he will need to configure his network device that’s doing NAT.  Making changes on your side won’t do anything for your brother’s connection.  

Ohh my goodness just forget it ill just return the modem I purchased thanks anyway. I like how my question about arris customer support was ignored.  I'm moving out of my apartment in November ill just use the wifi hot spot on my phone to play off of the next 2 months until I move. Thanks anyway i'll return the modem & save myself $ on not having internet service in my apartment the next 2 months.  I've had this issue with the nat type before. I don't remember what my old netgear customer service had done to fix the issue.  Guess the only way to get real customer support is to buy a different product from a different company that actually has someone to talk to when I call. Thanks for nothing 👍

Just an fyi nat type 2 is the general signal to play Playstation games online. Without it I can't connect to anyone online not just my brother. I'll play an open map by myself saying I'm in game people can join me. Anytime anyone tries or I try to join them. It won't let us join simple as that. All because of the nat type signal.  But anyway I'm done wasting my time on this. You enjoy yourself I just put the modem back in the box. I'll fill out a return slip this afternoon thank you 

Ohh my goodness just forget it ill just return the modem I purchased thanks anyway. I like how my question about arris customer support was ignored.  I'm moving out of my apartment in November ill just use the wifi hot spot on my phone to play off of the next 2 months until I move. Thanks anyway i'll return the modem & save myself $ on not having internet service in my apartment the next 2 months.  I've had this issue with the nat type before. I don't remember what my old netgear customer service had done to fix the issue.  Guess the only way to get real customer support is to buy a different product from a different company that actually has someone to talk to when I call. Thanks for nothing 👍

I’m not sure why I need to comment on arris customer support when I haven’t used them.  I’m here to help other members with their networking issues in my spare time.  A quick google search shows the definition for PS nat types.  If you want NAT type 2, either replace your modem with Wi-Fi cable modem or add a Wi-Fi router to your modem.