Solved

changing username and password for SB6190

• 11 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

I was told by my internet provider that I should change my username and password on my Arris SB6190 modem.  There were some concerns that our usage is unusual and perhaps we’d been hacked.  They said it wasn’t their equipment.

icon

Best answer by plemans 12 January 2024, 14:43

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40
  1. you can’t change the user name. 
  2. you can change the passwod 
  3. There isn’t a way to hack the modem to use more data. It is a modem only device and pretty locked down by the ISP. There isn’t any settings/anything to change/use on it for data. The router does. That’s more likely to be hacked
  4. More likely than the router is someone using more data or having a miner/adware in the background  using data. 
Badge

Try admin and password

Also, I have never even heard of an internet company calling a customer to let them know about strange activity.  Normally they would text or email you a notification if you are transferring excessive amounts of data, but that would typically be a warning type message before they start charging extra.

You wouldnt fix the issue you are describing by going into this model SB6190 cablemodem.  You need to go into router to fix this, but whomever told you this is highly strange for them to even contact you regarding STRANGE things.  Someone phishing you for something else.