Solved

Need modem for Spectrum ISP that can connect to (NON-wifi) Cisco router - SB6190

• 29 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

Good day, I recently had some connectivity issues with my Spectrum service.  I had been using an Arris modem provided by Spectrum for years, but part of resolving their issues, they replaced my old Arris modem with a super duper Hitron modem.

Speed with Hitron modem is improved, but it unfortunately connects only to a single PC in my home, it WILL NOT CONNECT to my Cisco RV325 Small Business Router.  Previously, the old Arris “just worked” as far as getting an IP from Spectrum to allow all systems on my network to have internet access.  However Spectrum is unable to provide any support other than “it works on our side”, and tell me that I need to contact Cisco.

I see on the Spectrum site that the Arris SB6190 is compatible with their service, and also see that I can purchase one from Best Buy.  Will the Arris SB6190 be able to connect to my Cisco Router?

I will run to Best Buy and pick one up!!

icon

Best answer by plemans 30 January 2024, 18:02

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

What “old arris” did you have? I’m betting they replaced a modem/router combo device with just a modem. 

Reason why is the modems they don’t usually charge rent for (with spectrum) but the combo devices they do now. You should be able to use the hiltron but you’d have to contact either hiltron or spectrum to get it working with your business router. 

Badge

Incorrect.  I’m not sure what model the “old Arris” was, but was NOT a modem/router combo.  However the “old Arris” connected to my router fine.

The Hitron device is also a “modem only” unit, but it does not connect to my router like the “old Arris” has done for the last decade.  Hence the source of my woes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Hence you should call either hiltron to help with the modem, the isp to help with that, or cisco to see if theres a different setting needed in your business class router. 

I’d work on fixing that before I’d go out and buy a new modem as most modems perform pretty much the same. So there’s a good chance you run into the same issue unless you figure out why its not getting an IP address/connection. 

Badge

I would have thought that Spectrum would have offered this suggestion, but decided to try a “Factory Reset” of my Cisco RV325 router; after the factory reset, it connected to the Hitron modem.  So if others are having this issue, try factory resetting your router. 

This got things “working”, but I need to do quite a bit of re-configuring of my router to get it fully working as needed.

Separate from the connection issue, but in other news, Spectrum connection issues have started reoccurring and they will be sending out another technician later today….