Solved

SB6190 403 Forbidden

Badge

I have an SB6190 Modem/Router and use Sparklight as my ISP.  I am trying to access the Arris Modem webpage which I have done numerous times before but now I receive a “403 Forbidden” message.  I have tried the following:

• Accessing on both my Macbook and iPhone
  • Turned on and off my VPN
  • Rebooted my Macbook and iPhone
  • Rebooted the modem
  • Factory reset the modem
  • Disconnected and reconnected all cables from the modem
  • Contacted Sparklight to determine if their were any issues on their end
  • Scoured the internet for solutions and tried numerous recommendations
  • Reviewed this Community Q&A

I am at my wits end and hope someone can provide me with a solution?  Is it possible that this “403 Forbidden” message could be associated with the modem’s hardware?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Phil

icon

Best answer by js3 24 December 2023, 01:22

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hi pmoyer3,

We understand that you are facing the ”403 Forbidden” After trying all possibilities, let's try connecting the modem directly with an ethernet port laptop/computer or a MAC computer (try with an ethernet adapter).

Try accessing the web manager page (192.168.100.1) with different browsers(google chrome/firefox /microsoft edge etc) and let us know if you're facing the same error.

Hope this helps.

Badge

I connected my macbook directly to the modem but I am still experiencing the same “403 Forbidden” message.  While connected directly to the modem I tried accessing 192.168.100.1 with the following changes:

1. VPN connected and disconnected
  2. Intego internet security software connected and disconnected
  3. Using Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox browsers
  4. Cleared cache and history on all browsers

I appreciate any additional guidance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

It wouldn’t be the first time an ISP’s control of firmware/modem locked it out. Spectrum is notorious for doing this so users can’t check the cable signal strength. You could try disconnecting the coax from the modem, factory resetting it, and then connecting your computer directly to it. (with coax still disconnected). I’ve heard of that working but not always. 

Badge

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it did not work for me.

@pmoyer3 and @SURFboard Moderator 
I am facing the exact same issue with the exact same modem (SB6190) on the exact same ISP(Sparklight). 
I will say that on this modem i have had this issue since i purchased it brand new. I just haven’t had time to dig into the problem. 
My firmware is 9.1.103AA78 
I reached out to ARRIS support last night and we discovered the following:
When the Coax is disconnected from my modem and I perform a factory reset and leave the coax cable disconnected I can connect to the management page. I am able to reset my default password and all is well.
Once I plug in the Coax cable, even if i am signed into the page, then from that point on I will be kicked out of the page. Every attempt to access modem GUI will respond with a 403 error. This includes disconnecting the coax cable after all of this. I will still get a 403 error with a computer directly plugged into the modem or over my network. I have tried Incognito windows and tried multiple browsers, computers, and smartphones. The error is consistent it always responds with the attached

the wrap up of my case number 2312-01877 was a request for me to reach out to my ISP to have them reprovision my modem. Sparklight tried this and the error still persists.
Everything about this issue to me points to Modem firmware.
Please help, I am at my wits end as well as it is one of the deciding factors in purchasing arris modems is that management interface provides useful troubleshooting information when troubleshooting connectivity issues with my ISP. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As mentioned that without the co-axial cable, you are able to access the GUI page at the same time not with the co-axial cable ? 

Contact Sparklite and check with them for a complete new co-axial cable which might fix the issue .

I tried this step too. I actually go ahold of Arris support and a few things have happened. I was having separate issues with the modem that resulted in it requiring an RMA. The new SB6190 unit came and worked on Sparklight just fine and I was able to get to the management page until Sparklight pushed out the latest firmware revision from Arris 9.1.103AA78. Once that firmware was pushed to the unit I was no longer able to access any management functions and the exact same issue as the prior unit surfaced. This to me points directly to a Firmware configuration issue. Arris support has brought in their Tier 3 support team to review the case and it sounds like they are working through the issue and I should hear back after the holidays

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Yes our support team will definitely get back to you with the right information and also with alternate solution. Really appreciate your patience.

I tried this step too. I actually go ahold of Arris support and a few things have happened. I was having separate issues with the modem that resulted in it requiring an RMA. The new SB6190 unit came and worked on Sparklight just fine and I was able to get to the management page until Sparklight pushed out the latest firmware revision from Arris 9.1.103AA78. Once that firmware was pushed to the unit I was no longer able to access any management functions and the exact same issue as the prior unit surfaced. This to me points directly to a Firmware configuration issue. Arris support has brought in their Tier 3 support team to review the case and it sounds like they are working through the issue and I should hear back after the holidays

I am having this exact issue with the same modem and ISP. I was able to get to the admin login page after factory reset and without connecting to coax. After connecting to coax, I got blocked with 403 Forbidden. I contacted Sparklight support and all they did was pushing out a new firmware, which did not help at all. 

Did Arris support ever figure this out for ya?  

I am having the same issue with a SURFboard SB6190 Cable Modem on Sparklight. When I try to access the Web Manager at the device's IP number: 192.168.100.1 I receive a "403 Forbidden" message. This started over a year ago. Formerly I was able to view the Web Manager statistics page. Otherwise the modem seems to work OK. I've tried power-cycling the device. Has there been any progress on resolving this issue?
Thank you.