Question

SB6190 Firmware Update

• 11 February 2023
  • 3 replies

I called my ISP they told me they do not update firmware on my modem since I own it and do not rent from them.  So how do I go about updating the firmware on the modem?  They advised me to reach out to the manufacturer for a firmware update.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You don’t. the firmware is part of the provisioning they send to the modem when they set it up to your system. 

Part of the docsis spec is the ISP pushes the firmware to the modem. Problem is the ISP’s have to certify it. So even if arris submits updates to the isp, if they choose not to certify them and send them out (because certification costs $), nothing to be done. Its not user updateable and if the ISP is taking that stance, you’re stuck. 

So you are stuck with pixelation and blurry screens that you pay for each month and there is nothing that can be done except reporting to BBB or suing the company for not providing a service?  This seems like a monopoly of service where there are no other providers in the area and forcing you to do something you do not want to do.   Ok let me write to my Senators and/or Congressmen who are supposed to work for the people and that is a good laugh.  I know at one point I could update the router firmware myself up until 2 years ago, but that has all changed.

Well if I hit the ‘reset’ at the top of the unit what does it do?  I thought it sets it to factory settings and when it reconnect to the ISP do they resend all that information to the modem or does it just use the factory settings?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You can update “router” firmware. but not modems. And the SB6190 you put is a modem only device. 

And the problem is you didn’t state what your actual issues is. You just wanted to know if you could update firmware. Which you can’t. 

So if you’d like help, lets go over whats actually going on. 

1. What speeds do you pay for? 
  2. what  actual speeds do you get when you test from the modem?
  3. what router do you have connected to the modem? 
  4. A bit more details on your issue helps. Blurry screens/pixelation can be from many things. It could be your device connected to wireless causing issues (which would be the router, not the modem). Tough to know without more details of your full setup and the issue. 
  5. Again, the more you tell us, the better we can help. Limited info or just asking about updating isn’t going to help.