Solved

sb6190 intermittent with spectrum

• 11 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi,

I’ve had the sb6190 for a number of years without any problems, using it with a netgear nighthawk, until maybe a couple of months ago i noticed the connection was dropping off but not a nuisance. The last few weeks it’s become intolerable.

I called spectrum and the first agent said they could see the modem no problem. They wanted to send a tech and of course charge if anything beyond checking their end.

I hard rebooted everything but it didn’t last. I had replaced the cable on my end with rg 6 high speed a few years ago.

I called again and this time got an agent who knew what she was doing. She saw from their log that the modem was disconnecting from them off and on over the past 24 hrs. She also saw that the modem was flashed with docsis 3.0, she reflashed it with a docsis 3.1 but said she didn’t know if this would be only a temp fix. It was. She recommended that i may need a new modem.

I had also read that the fcc had gone after the sb6190 for problems.

I looked at arris’s new sb8200 but when i went to ebay there were more for sale being used then new which i found unusual for such a new modem.

Is the sb8200 worth it?

Has anyone reflashed their sb6190 with docsis 3.1 with success if they had connection problems before?

thanks

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 13 July 2023, 19:25

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hi cdog,

Basically sb6190 is a cable modem with 3.0 DOCSIS , also is not possible to activate this modem with 3.1 DOCSIS .

After rebooting the modem also, you are facing intermittent issue on sb6190 , we need to check on cable signal levels before we purchase a new modem .

To check on SB6190 please check the below link : 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels

SB8200 is a 3.1 DOCSIS  modem which is more suitable for speed plan of 1gig (with other ISP) and 800mbps (with xfinity).