Solved

SB6190 needs to be rebooted daily

• 3 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

My SB6190, connected to Comcast, has worked well for the past couple of years. There were the occasional Comcast outages, of course, but now I am unsure if the problem is Comcast or the modem, since the problem is always cleared up by power cycling the modem.  This started about 2 weeks ago, and occurs daily, sometimes twice a day.  Below is the event log from today.  10:11 and 16:50 are immediately after the modem is rebooted.  Any thoughts on whether I have a hardware or internet provider issue?  Thanks in advance!!

Tue Jan 02 01:14:51 2024 5 RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=[removed personal information];CMTS-MAC=[removed personal information];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Tue Jan 02 02:51:43 2024 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[removed personal information];CMTS-MAC=[removed personal information];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Tue Jan 02 10:11:20 2024 6 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=[removed personal information];CMTS-MAC=[removed personal information];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Tue Jan 02 14:33:00 2024 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[removed personal information];CMTS-MAC=[removed personal information];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Tue Jan 02 16:50:19 2024 6 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=[removed personal information];CMTS-MAC=[removed personal information];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 4 January 2024, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The logs are Values read by technicians from the internet provider end, since the logs are what the coaxial cable transmits and the log screen on the router is the translator so can be easily read by them, the coaxial cable is owned by the Internet service provider, I wouldn't be able to tell you what that means.

If your Event Log is reporting a high volume of errors, this would indicate a potential CMTS signal issue. To troubleshoot these errors, we would like to note the current signal levels being used by your (SB6190).

Here we are checking the way  signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

This did indeed turn out to be a Comcast issue.  It was an odd one they said, and difficult to locate as it was affecting just a few homes, but all is well now.  Thanks for the reply.