Solved

Unable to access internet through direct connection in SB6190

Badge +1

I just purchase this modem on amazon for my spectrum account. When it is plugged in it powers up goes green then the middle two turn blue. Tried two different cables connected directly to computer and it wont communicate? Any ideas, thanks 

icon

Best answer by Mspiller72 13 June 2023, 06:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello BDA,

As you had mentioned the led light status of modem power/receive/send are solid green and blue respectively but online light status is not mentioned?

Could you please let us know is the modem been activated by your ISP by providing HFC MAC ID which is available at the bottom of the modem .

Also, let us know the name of your ISP . 

Note: ISP: Internet Service Provider 

Badge +1

My isp is spectrum. Yes i provided the number and spectrum set up and authorized this modem. While on with spectrum tech they said the modem was powered up and connected to the system, the tech said they could see that from their side.

it was connected to my router, the wifi works and my devices connect but no internet access and it said the cable was disconnected, so i tried another cable still no connect.

next the modem was connected directly to the computer, the computer does not see a lan connection and when troubleshoot is run it says cable disconnected.. 

Badge +1

Yes the power and the internet light are illuminated.

all four lights on the front are on two green and two blue

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello BDA ,

Its good to know the led lights all are solid , but when connected to the computer it doesnt see any lan connection. 

Could you check if the ethernet port as got flashing lights and try swapping the ends of ethernet cable and also try with a different ethernet cables.

Badge +1

I already tried i different  cable and checked to make sure both cables ends where securely inserted. 

Could you check if the ethernet port as got flashing lights . i dont understand this question?

the lights on the front of the modem are all on solid not flashing.

***POSSIBLE SOLUTION****

For anyone whose curious, there is a small sentence at the bottom of the quick start guide. It directs you to connect an ether net cable from the modem to your laptop/tablet/smartphone. Once connected you'll go to the web address on the quick start guide ex: 192.168.100.1. Once you go there you'll be prompted to login. The username and password is listed on the quickstart guide but is likely "admin" and "password" for the username and password. Once you change to your new password, you should be able to disconnect the ether net from your device and reconnect it to your wifi router. Hope this helps save others some time! 

Badge

I’m having the exact same issue and have tried all the same “fixes”. 

Badge

Hello BDA ,

Its good to know the led lights all are solid , but when connected to the computer it doesnt see any lan connection. 

Could you check if the ethernet port as got flashing lights and try swapping the ends of ethernet cable and also try with a different ethernet cables.

I’m having the same issue, changing cables or switching the ends does nothing. The ethernet cable connector is flashing on the back. I imagine BDA’s is as well. 

Badge +1

I do not see any led on the back of the box?

Badge +1

Badge +1

Thanks Mspiller72.

Not being the most technically savvy i employed my kid who entered someplace and said something about the dns not working. He said it is there, the modem has internet connection but it wont talk. He said it was like requesting a book from the library and when you open it it is empty? Please ref prev posted photo.

Badge

BDA, I was referring to how the cable connector lights up when plugged into the back of the modem. After reading multiple posts from people with similar issues and no working fix, I decided to return the device and bought one from a different company instead. The new one initially appeared to have the same issue until I hit the reset button and my new modem works beautifully now. I wouldn’t waste anymore time with the surfboard. Best of luck!

Badge +1

Sadly, i have ordered a new, different brand modem. The reviews of this being a good modem and highly recommended clearly where not correct. The support was non existent.  What did i expect?