Question

new modem getting awful speeds

• 26 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

ive gotten 2 new modems that on the box say are capable of 800mbps down however when i run a speed test with my PC and it being the only thing on the network, im barely getting 200 down. i pay for 800mbps so im trying to get at least 500-600 down. contacted XFinity and they say its a modem issue but i cant get ahold of an agent via live chat because the site cant find its own modem. bought it at best buy and i just have no clue what to do. any tips?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

A couple things. 

1. if 2x different modems are having the same issue, the odds of it being a hardware issue with the modem are very very slim
  2. site you’re testing on and device you’re testing on make a big difference. What website are you using (try xfinity’s speedtest site). And what device are you using to test with?
  3. What modem do you have? You posted in the svg7600 forum but people make mistakes so just making sure thats actually what you have.
  4. Even though devices may have “up to 800mbps” speed rating, it doesn’t mean the ISP rates it for that. Several ISP’s are requiring docsis 3.1 specs for higher speeds. So you have to check with the ISP what they actually rate it up to. 
  5. do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs? Sometimes a poor connection can drop speeds. 
Badge
  1. my previous modem is old and xfinity told me i needed it replaced so i did that. my old modem i believe is only capable of 300mbps so that explains the speeds so i went and got an arris one expecting an increase.
  2. im testing using google’s speed test and XFinity’s speed test. using my PC and my phone, each test being ran with the respective device as the only one on the network. PC is hardwired in, phone tested the wireless and both came out to under 250 mbps down.
  3. using the SBG7600AC2
  4. checking with XFinity currently (im on an active live chat)
  5. I dont, not sure where to go for that.