Solved

Wi-Fi keeps dropping multiple times a day. Internet provider says surfboard need updating. SBG7600AC2

• 17 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have a SBG7600AC2 for some time now. Last week it started to drop the Wi-Fi every 30 minutes or so. I called our service provider several times and they state that it's an upstream problem with the modem possibly needing an update. I searched the site for an update, but there is none. Checked the cable and connections which are all good. What is my next step please?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 21 October 2023, 02:17

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello  78666-San Marcos

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS SBG7600AC2, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

If you are using only WIFI on all your devices then we would suggest you to try changing WIFI channel on the modem interface. If other Wi-Fi sources such as neighboring wireless access points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause intermittent connectivity issues, even if the competing signal is relatively weak. 
Changing the wireless channel within the  gateway can improve connectivity. Please follow the steps mentioned on the below article to change channel

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7600AC2-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Badge

Thing is the modem/surfboard is mine and I changed the frequency and I live on acreage. I have 60 acres between my nearest neighbor and I’m still having the same issue.   

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since the intermittent internet connection persists in SBG7600AC2, I suggest you to check the cable signal levels to make sure all the signals are in range.

To check the cable signals, find the link given below:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7600AC2-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

I believe this problem has something to do with the cable companies not sending the right signal to the cable modem, when they make a change to their system.  I had intermittent problems all week and it was not caused by my modem.  I had two chats yesterday with Comcast,  and they didn’t admit a problem but did set up an appointment for a serviceperson to come check it out.  Then today everything is working great and my modem is picking up the cable signal just fine. Probably with the number of complaints someone in their systems administration looked into the problem and fixed it.

Fyi, if you have.an Xfinity account and password set up, you can access the unsecured Xfinity wifi.  It is not as fast in download speed as I am used to (videos sometimes pause), but it helps to keep me connected. Of course if you have another provider, this won’t help.