Question

Compatible of Wi-Fi6 with G34

• 18 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hmm, it’s my understanding that Wi-Fi 6 should be backward compatible with both WiFi 4/5 devices on both the 2.4/5GHz bands as an industry standard. I’ve several older WiFi 5 devices (Facebook Portal, Chromecast, smart light bulbs and thermostat, a Windows PC and laptop) and all work fine with the G34.

Since I have Band Steering enabled, they’re switched to the “Home 2.4G” network automatically and all work fine. I realize that’s a radio band which doesn’t necessarily equate to WiFi 5 protocol, but it would seem backward compatibility is taking care of that or none of those devices would connect.

I also checked “Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > 2.4 GHz Radio”. Mode is selectable there, but 802.11ac isn’t even an option. Once again, I assume this is because the router is taking care of that under the WiFi 6 covers.

Sorry I can’t offer any further advice, other than to contact ARRIS customer support. I know that, but you’ll get no official answers around here.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Badge +2

No idea why this was converted to a standalone post, since it was a response to the following question: