Question

G34 5GHz disappears - slow speeds

• 14 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have a G34 modem/router, and none of my devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) see the 5GHz network. Resetting the router (power cycling) lets it appear for a few hours, but it then disappears. The 5GHz network appears in the app, and also in the webpage - but none of my devices see it. All devices default to the 2.4 GHz band.

My ISP (Xfinity) says it can provide speeds of “Up to 400 MBs”.  Connecting to the 2.4 GHz network yields speeds of <100.

Here’s where it gets interesting…

I connected an old TP-link wireless router to the G34. It has 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, and all my devices see both networks. Connecting to the 5GHz network via the TP-link, I get speeds in excess of 400.  The 2.4 GHz network via TP-link gives speeds of 65-90 as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, in advance.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You’re not going to get up to 400mbps over 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is a slow band and sensitive to interference. Hitting that 65-90mbps is about all you can expect from it. 

What do you have your speed set on the 5ghz? 

What channel is it set to use? 

Badge

You’re not going to get up to 400mbps over 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is a slow band and sensitive to interference. Hitting that 65-90mbps is about all you can expect from it. 

Thanks for your response. Yeah, the slow speed is using the G34 as well as the TP link, as I pointed out. However, my bigger question is why the 5GHz network doesn't appear on any of my devices, even thought the Surfboard App and web interface show it being available (see 1st screenshot).

(n00b question)

What do you have your speed set on the 5ghz? 

What channel is it set to use? 

How do I determine those and, if necessary, change them?

Badge

Thank you for your reply. I get it, that 2.4GHz will be slower. 

Just frustrated that the 5GHz band is not appearing without rebooting the router. 

Please educate…

“What do you have your speed set on the 5GHz”? I didn’t realize there’s a setting. 

Also, “What channel is it set to use”? Same question.

All was working fine until about a week ago, when the 5GHz band just disappeared - from ALL my devices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

We understand that you are unable to connect 5GHz as it keeps on disappearing only after rebooting the G34 it will stay connected again . 

Lets try with possible options now :

• In general if there is a firmware update  done recently  there are possibilities  for the 5GHz to get disappearing  hence check with your ISP if any firmware been update by them recently .
  • Lets try changing the Wi-Fi channels please follow the link below for this try connecting with either 2.4GHz or hard wire device 
  • http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel if still the 5GHz is disappearing 
  • Then select the Automatic Option on the above provided link and then select DCS Scan Interval and save the time Interval for 8 hours