Solved

G34 Secondary/Guest networks: Band Steering problem

• 17 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Just got done installing a new G34, and ran into an issue during configuration…

On the “Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Networks” admin panel, I enabled Band Steering because I don’t want to hassle with multiple SSID’s. Tested a bunch of devices with this, and everything works fine.

Now, I also want to completely disable the two Secondary and two Guest Wi-Fi networks. However, when I do so Band Steering also returns to disabled status.

I thought to disable SSID broadcasting for each of them which would have been better than nothing, but Band Steering becomes disabled when that’s done as well.

Am I going about this wrong, or is what I’m trying to do impossible? I’m aware I could set the Secondary and Guest network passwords to some off-the-wall value to secure them, but that would only be a workaround and obviously not what I’m actually trying to accomplish.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 20 August 2023, 02:37

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

When Band Steering is enabled, the Secondary Home and Guest Wi-Fi networks are enabled, if it's not enabled already. 

There is no option to disable the secondary and guest wifi networks when the band
steering is enabled.

To enable the band steering, follow the steps in the below-given link:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Band-Steering-Setup

Badge +2

I wound up configuring both the secondary/guest networks with their own identical unique SSID and access password (as I originally did on the primaries), which allows me to keep Band Steering enabled on all three 2.4GHz/5GHz pairs.

It’s actually a blessing in disguise... I can now use the secondary/guest network pairs privately with better performance since I’m off the two primary networks that all of my other devices around the house are using.

It also greatly simplifies access with only two broadcast SSIDs involved, each with their own unique user passwords.