Question

G34 speed degrades needing reset

• 27 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

My G34 modem’s performance degrades over time and I have to reset it weekly.  It’s fresh reset 5G download speed > 600Mbps using wifi on a 1.2GB cable network.  By the end of the week, it degrades to < 5Mbps and all streaming devices perform poorly.  I do not see a way to update firmware. So what else can I do?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Badge +4

Hi eamangubat,

The firmware update can be pushed by your Internet Service Provider.

However, could you please share the screeenshot of "Connection / WAN" page (which has the upstream and downstream information) so that we can check if the cable signal levels are within the acceptable range.

You can get into the web interface by accessing the 192.168.0.1 on any of your wifi connected device. 

Badge

Thanks.  I checked it last night and the numbers up and down look like they are in working order but I’m at work so I have to do it later tonight when I get home.  

Does Xfinity automatically push the updates or do I have to request it?

Badge +4

Sure, Normally, the update will be pushed by the service provider at the time of provisioning the modem. As a result, you can request updates.

Since the speed is really low, you can also ask for reprovisioning the modem. 

Badge

Badge +4

The upstream power levels are completely out of range. It should be between 45 dbmv and 51 dbmv.

Please contact your service provider to adjust the same. 

Badge

thank you!  I will contact them and see if of they can fix it.