Solved

G34 wifi disappears; wired cat cable still works

• 18 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

A month or so ago my G34 started getting flaky, and now it doesn’t last more than a day or so.

After a while, all wifi channels simply disappear from all of my devices (two Macs, an iPhone, an Android tablet, an Amazon Kindle). Those devices call all still see other wifi access points, including xfinity’s semi-public ones.

Meanwhile, my desktop Mac is also connected directly via a cat6 cable, and is still working great.

Restarting the Gateway restores all access; but only restarting the “Wi-Fi Module” doesn’t help.

I can’t see any place to see if my device needs a firmware update or something — is current information hidden somewhere in the 192.168.0.1 management panel?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 23 September 2023, 03:04

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello MrRedwood

Intermittent connection issue on WIFI  is because, if there is other WIFI sources such as neighboring wireless access points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause intermittent connectivity issues, even if the competing signal is relatively weak. Changing the wireless channel within the  gateway can improve connectivity. After changing WIFI channel as recommended on the link restart the modem then i would request you to monitor the connection for next 24hrs. Please follow the steps mentioned on below link to change the WIFI channels.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Badge

Okay, I’m trying this — although my wifi isn’t intermittent, really.  It works great until all the SSIDs suddenly disappear from the selection menus of all my devices, not to return until I restart the Gateway.

On the Radio Configuration page, 2.4GHz Channel Selection had been set to Automatic.

The spectrum analyzer shows a lot of 2.4GHz activity on channels 1, 6 and 11 (possibly due to widespread recommendations for those?), and none at all on 4 and 9. Channel 1 had 12 rows being used; channel 6 had 12 as well; and channel 11 had 5.

With only a single selection for channels 3 and 5, I selected channel 4 as the least overpopulated…

Hmm -- in the middle of doing this, the wifi dropped and, unusually, the Gateway’s login page disappeared even though the machine I was using was attached directly via an ethernet cable. Curious. Since I couldn’t access the Gateway’s web interface, I physically disconnected power, waited a minute or so, and reconnected.

On rebooting, 2 GHz channels 1, 6 and 11 were still the busiest, but now channels 3, 4 and 9 were unused. I selected channel 4 using the manual override and submitted.

Looking at the 5GHz spectrum, almost all activity was on channel 44, with one row for 36 and two for 48. No channels were directed for 2E; for 3/ISM, channels 149, and especially 157 were congested, with a little activity on 161 and 165. 5 GHz Channel selection had been set for Automatic. I changed that to Manual and selected Channel 40.

Badge

Within an hour or so, the problem recurred.

All my devices ceased getting my wifi SSIDs.

I had to physically disconnect and reconnect power to connect to the Gateway.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Its not a normal behavior, if the Wi-Fi network name is not broadcasting in any of the devices for a while and its broadcasting after after reset the modem.

Warranty inquiries are handled by Consumer Support. Please visit arris.com/selfhelp for more information.

Badge

Thank you. I’ve worked with Customer Support to arrange for a replacement.