Solved

How to create a Mesh using (2) G34s?

• 14 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a new G34 and love it. However, it is on one end of the house and the signal strength is weak at the far end of the house. There is a Cat 7 ethernet cable running from the new G34 to the far end of the house, so is it possible to install a second G34 using the ethernet cable and create a Mesh network of sorts, to enable using the same WiFi SSID and seamless handoff? If so, what settings would be used on the host G34 and the satellite G34? Other suggestions?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 16 December 2023, 00:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

G34 connecting to other G34 as a router is not possible but you can use G34 with any mesh system to extend WIFI signal. Connecting two G34 is will cause interference and there is no such settings available on the modem interface. G34 is compatible with all brand mesh system and you can also look for Arris mesh system on shop.surfboard.com

Badge

Thank you for the fast reply and the information. I tried getting answers through the support chat before trying the Surfboard Community, but that person was either too busy to help, uneducated, a poor listener, or completely disinterested. He did steer me in the direction of the mAX series of mesh systems, which I became interested in, but he disconnected the chat after a few questions and left me hanging. That was a terrible customer experience! Never-the-less, I’ve spent the last 35-40 hours researching the systems and options, and have decided to buy the W130 system and connect it behind my new G34 and disable the WiFi radio on that, or replace the G34 with an SB8200. Over the last 4 months I’ve tried several products from different manufacturers to meet the unique needs my application requires, and have been disappointed with all of them, from the ridiculously expensive systems to the moderately-priced and very popular ones. I hope the W130 system fills the bill and resolves all the issues. Thank you again.