Solved

G36 Dropping 5Ghz Transmitter

• 27 November 2023
  • 19 replies

Badge

I’m having a repeating issue where the 5Ghz network drops and completely disappears.  Only a reboot fixes this issue.  This gateway is brand new and has the latest Comcast 1.05 update. 

What’s going on?  Is there a fix or this is a hardware failure. 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 27 December 2023, 19:51

View original

19 replies

The same issue has been happening to us. Looking to hear what the resolution might be.

The same has happening here too. I have to reboot three time a day. I'm about to take the arris system back and use xfinity equipment cuz I'm super frustrated.  

Badge

If I don’t get a prompt resolution from ARRIS on this issue I will return the Surfboard. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing with intermittent internet connection on 5ghz, I suggest you to change the Wi-Fi channels and monitor it.

To change the Wi-Fi channels, find the link given below:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel.

Also enable Dynamic channel channel and select DCS Scan Interval as 8hours.

Badge

I have the same problem. See the previous post!

Badge

I am facing the same issue where the connection drops completely and for both the bands.

I purchased G34 and then return due to WiFi speed and now with G36, I am facing this intermittent speed issue since I purchase last week.

2 reboots done in last 1 week and since I purchased.

Any tweak for this or is this a known issue  ?

Badge

To: SURFboard Moderator

As you can see by the screen shot below, both Dynamic Channel Selection and DCS Scan Interval are grayed out, once you change the Wi-fi channel.  So you can do one, or the other, but not both.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As you mentioned, you can edit either Wi-Fi channel or DCS. There is no option to change both at the same time.

once you changed the Wi-Fi channels, I suggest you to monitor it for next 24hours of time.

Badge

I’ve been experiencing the same issue (5 Ghz network simply disappearing) for a few weeks now.  I have a G36, which I bought in January 2023.  This problem is NEW, it did not occur until recently (about 3-4 weeks ago).  It has persisted with two different ISPs (I switched from Xfinity to Glofiber on 11/21/23).  The problem began occurring about 2-3 weeks before the switch.

The guidance provided by the moderator(s) has NOT worked.  I’ve done scans and manually set channels as detailed in the instructions link, with no resolution to the problem (if anything, it’s worse).  Sometimes the 5 Ghz network shows, and my computer tells me it can’t connect to it!

A previous problem with this G36 modem/router involved the firmware and the Xfinity ISP:  the internet simply shut down every 36 hours or so and I had to reboot it, until a firmware fix was pushed out (I was told).  I’m having a hard believing this new problem isn’t a result of a flaw in the router, or firmware version. 

The sheer number of people experiencing this problem on these message boards should be an indicator, Moderator, that it’s the product, not the user.  Might want to run some tests.  Needless to say, this will be the last Arris product I purchase.

Badge

Found a POSSIBLE solution:  I did a full gateway reset and re-install last night (a real pain for everyone and their devices).  Everything worked when I went to bed, and when I woke up it was still working.  These last 12 hours are the longest I’ve had my 5G network consistently working in about a month.

I used the web-based settings page for setup (192.168.0.1), which eventually worked after 2-3 attempts. 

I initially tried my reset/reinstall through the Surfboard app on my phone.  It didn’t work after several tries.  The app doesn’t seem to account for people like me who aren’t using the DOCIS/cable input/modem part of the G36.  I have to use the modem provided by my ISP (Glofiber) and plug the modem into the 2.5 G port on the G36.

Badge

Posting to add my frustration to the pile. This started happening for me after the immediately after this update was pushed out:

For me, both the 2ghz and 5ghz have slower speeds and intermittent drops. Interestingly, the 2ghz is faster at ~50mbs down vs the 5ghz at ~15mbs. I have random ping spikes and disconnects on both.

In attempting to narrow down the issue, I’ve tried all the a/b/g/n/ac/ax settings. Specifically when we to ax, none of my devices are able to connect to the 5ghz (but still can to the 2ghz). This used to work fine, and was the reason I bought the g36 as ax is wifi 6e if I’m not mistaken. 

Before the update, I was getting 300+ mbs on 5ghz with a silky smooth connection. After, and currently, it’s borked 90% of the time.

Badge

UPDATE:  After about three days now, I’ve still had no problems after my full reset.  I can’t explain why it worked, but so far it did.

Badge

I also tried a full reset - as in pressing and holding the tiny button in the back until it reset the whole thing. It took maybe 10 minutes and wiped all of my wireless settings… but this method also fixed everything for me! I also cannot explain why - the settings are back to defaults but all of my devices can connect and I am getting 200+ mbs on the 5ghz. Very few lag spikes.

Thanks @RyanB036! I highly recommend anyone that’s having wifi issues with the g36 take the time to do this. It’s annoying, but I’m going on 12 hours now with no issues. I’ll definitely come back to report if that changes.

Badge

Its so annoying to use this product.After 2 weeks of using this product, it is required to daily reboot  G36 to restore the connectivity. 

Only option is to return this product and get a Xfinity or Netgear one. 

Badge

Unfortunately @vishal.shah is right. Only 5 days later the 5gz is back to being gone, and the last day or two were very unstable connections. I’m going to attempt to return this - should be within the 1 year warranty yeah?

Badge

UPDATE:  After about three days now, I’ve still had no problems after my full reset.  I can’t explain why it worked, but so far it did.

Is it showing good sign ? Ideally, these router do not need any reboots for weeks/months to run.. I need to do before I go for reset/reinstallation again..Wondering how this will fix this connectivity issue, may be it fixes for some days and issue back after some days 

Badge

Unfortunately @vishal.shah is right. Only 5 days later the 5gz is back to being gone, and the last day or two were very unstable connections. I’m going to attempt to return this - should be within the 1 year warranty yeah?

Oh, thats not good..I bought it this month and having extended holiday return policy till Jan-2024, so should be fine to return. Any idea if calling to Arris Technical support helps, maybe some configuration change? Did any of you tried this?

I called Xfinity and they said everything is fine from their end and push some advance signals to boost up performance but of no help, so they said to check with Modem vendor .

Badge

I called you Arris technical support twice and they concluded that device received is faulty.It was a brand new sealed pack from Amazon.

On First call, tried changing the WiFi channels from Auto to manual and specific value (based on WiFi spectrum analyzer scan).

Post that internet drops every 3hrs compared to earlier 3 days.Called up Arris tech support once again and they checked the Power signal for both Downstream And Upstream QAM and concluded that No issues from Internet service provider and something to do with G36. So they suggested to replace a device(sounds simple solution for them).

Luckily, I still have return validity and going to return. Got Xfinity gateway back now and installed. All working like a charm (but with additional rent).

Good luck guys!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello@RyanB036

Thank you for the update.  Happy to hear the issue went away after a full reset.  For future reference, you can reset the Wi-Fi to defaults and a full factory reset as the last resort